C5 crushed by carwash

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

C5 crushed by carwash

Post by miked »

My local paper is reporting a story about a C5 being badly damaged by a car wash. Click here for story It looks like the tailgate opened as the brush went over.

I don't have a C5 but was wondering if the tailgate release on a C5 is exposed enough that the brush might have triggered it? Or did the customer either not have the boot closed in the first place or accidently pressed the remote boot open button?

Must have been a shock for the couple in the car though.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

That's in my local paper too!
The tailgate, should that not lock when driving off?
I wondered if it was not shut properly or broken
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Shocking :shock:

I hate car washes. They terrify me on a personal level and seem a lot of expense and bother.. I would NEVER use on on my own cars.

The last time I used one, to run SWIMBO's learner instruction car through, it reminded me of the worst aspects of rides at Alton Towers...

An hour or so with a bucket, sponge and hose is cheaper, safer and does a far better job.

Still, realising not everyone has the time or facilities, I hope these people get some compensation from the outfit who run the carwash in question. It must have been frightening.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The tailgate locks at 5mph but IIRC releases again when the car is stationary or a door is opened.
The release catch (on mine anyway) takes a firm pull to release and the tailgate doesn't lift on its own.
I can't see how the brushes would operate it, or even the rear screen, the button is well shrouded although light in operation.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:Shocking :shock:

Still, realising not everyone has the time or facilities, I hope these people get some compensation from the outfit who run the carwash in question. It must have been frightening.
You are forgetting those of us that are just plain lazy :)
I always use the carwash, when the car gets washed at all, with very few exceptions!

(Had an insane interlude when all the carwashes were broken and bought a bucket and sponge - fully recovered now though :P )
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I think the odd thing is that the owner is upset with Morrisons. If it were me, I would be blaming Citroen.
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

my C5's boot is a very light touch on the button to electronically unlock it, it then pops up about an inch and takes light pressure to lift the boot up till the gas assisters lift it the rest of the way

I can see how a car wash's brushes would be able to unlock and open a C5 boot quite easily, but i'm glad to say that my car only geet a wash once a year in the summer !!, so i'm not at too much risk of that happening to me, the simple solution would be to press the lock button on the dash before you go into the car wash, this locks all the door and disables the boot lock
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Another reason to stick with Xantias ;)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I work on the principal that the dirt will build up until the next time it rains.

My C5 is safe!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Just read the original report and it is a saloon, not estate and was a conventional boot hit by the dryer rather than the brushes.

Couldn't say for the saloon but on my estate the catch is pulled away front the car body and upwards, which might have been possible if there were something caught in the horizontal brushes and they happened to be rotating in the right direction but the dryer bar should never come into contact with the car although it sometimes gets disconcertingly close.

WAG but I imagine that after shopping they have not closed the boot properly, it failed to latch and has popped open in front of the dryer that has then crushed it against the rear screen.
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

I've owned 3 xantias and 2 c5's (all diesel), and have to admit that the Xantia was the better car to drive, but the suspension and spheres on the c5 and the general maintenance on the C5 is much easier, i only went over to C5's because it was a newer car, the wife doesnt like me having a p reg car !, she would prefer i drive something newer otherwise my old green sx xantia xud diesel would still be on the drive !
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

CitroJim wrote:Shocking :shock:

I hate car washes. They terrify me on a personal level and seem a lot of expense and bother.. I would NEVER use on on my own cars.

The last time I used one, to run SWIMBO's learner instruction car through, it reminded me of the worst aspects of rides at Alton Towers...

An hour or so with a bucket, sponge and hose is cheaper, safer and does a far better job.

I must confess to using one occaisionally but with a n XM estate it represents quite good value :D

Peter
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Quite a few years back a friend of mine got a loan of some guys pride and joy and took it to one of these to clean it before handing it back.

The entire machine collapsed on the car and my friend had the unwelcome task of informing the owner that his car was totalled.
C'est pas possible!
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Washing car is good excercise. Don`t see the point of spannering a car then can`t wash it yourself......who wants swirl marks on paintwork anyway :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

Xac wrote:Another reason to stick with Xantias ;)
Carwashes can open the fuel filler flap on my Xantia if I don't lock up before going in.

I am a bit surprised that the machine destroyed the C5 boot though - I would have though there might be some sort of safety cutout on overload.
1996 Xantia TD (Sold)
2004 Hyundai Trajet 2.7 V6 Auto
2000 Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v