Buzzing, fusebox area

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantiargh
My Cars:

Buzzing, fusebox area

Post by Xantiargh »

Hi ya
My Xantia has started intermittently buzzing. Sounds like a creak or electrical short to me. Usually happens when the car is first started, and then on and off for a couple of minutes. Not every time though.
I think I've traced it to a black relay protected by a plastic tab in the fuse box down the right hand side of the dashboard.
Does anyone know what this relay controls, and assuming its faulty a part number for a replacement?
Ta muchly
Mike
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

Let me know what it is, mine does it, and so did my last BX. The BX did it when I cut the ignition and stopped with the handbrake....not every time though.
Xantiargh
My Cars:

Post by Xantiargh »

Should have said. Xantia 1995 1.9 TD LX
Mike
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Sounds like it will be something to do with the glow plug relay. Used to do it on the AX then stopped one day. When it starts stick a screw driver on the relay and to your ear and see if it is the glow plug relay buzzing. It has an annoying way of
throwing its voice, so to speak. If its not the glow plug relay then when the buzzing starts try pulling out the relays in the fuse box, it will be one of them :)
Xantiargh
My Cars:

Post by Xantiargh »

cheers. I have now definitely traced it to the black relay behind a plastic tab in the interior fuse box. The left hand side of the fuse box is the fuses, the right hand side goes buggered black relay, some kind of socket thing, then a green relay.
Everything electrical seems to work on the car, I have no idea what this relay controls (or doesn't). I would have expected the glow plug relay to be in the engine bay(?), though the car is rough starting in cold weather so that could make sense...
Anyone confirm its use? [:)]
More info:
There is a blue and white wire going into the black relay. The relay has the following markings:
4DM 005 698-01
2+1(6)x21W-12V
A71433
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

The main glow plug relay is in the engine bay on the right hand side (looking from the front) screwed into the wing, usually in a plastic bag affair.
It wont help but the post heat relay is in the engine bay as well, although i havent ever found it (the TD's have them).
alas i have no more info to offer. You could try pulling it out and seeing what stops working? Although going by those markings id guess and say it was something to do with the lights. Just because its making funny noises doesnt mean it IS bust, but is a good sign its on its way out! Could also be an earthing problem!
Guess you'll have to wait till someone who knows can offer more
Xantiargh
My Cars:

Post by Xantiargh »

Thanks anyway Vanny.
I don't really want to yank it cos I'm assuming the plastic tab across it is to discourage that! I'm a bit worried it might be something to do with the airbag (as mine doesn't appear to charge) so I don't want to play with it til I know what it does!
Cheers [:)]
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

Don't have the airbag on mine, but do have the relay. I suspect that it may be something to do with the headlamp warning buzzer, coz mine only buzzes when the ignition is off, and the headlamp warning doesn't work.
Xantiargh
My Cars:

Post by Xantiargh »

Just checked my headlight warning buzzer. Works fine. My relay only buzzes when the ignition is on. weird,huh?
Xantiargh
My Cars:

Post by Xantiargh »

Ok, decided to just pull it out and see what doesn't work.
The answer is the indicators. I've cleaned the contacts and put it back in. I'll see if it starts buzzing again, if it does at least I know what I need to order now!
Cheers
Mike
assael1

Post by assael1 »

It seem to me that you have faulty hazzard button . the way to find it out is when you hear the noise push lighty[dont activate] on the button and observe
if it stop