Someone crashed into me yesterday

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

miggy24
My Cars:

Someone crashed into me yesterday

Post by miggy24 »

Hi guys well yesterday when driving someone hit the side of me and it was him over myside of the road.Anyway we swopped details and in the evening went to ring him and the number and address he gave me are all wrong.Iv gone to the police this morning and turns out the name address are fake and that the reg of his car is showing back as no insurance tax or mot so as u would think im pissed right off at the mo.Anyway here is a pic of the damage to the car

Changed to a clickable thumbnail to save space - Xac
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'd be cranky, too! :evil:

A couple of things that people should really consider for situations like this; unfortunately both require a prior investment.

Firstly to call any number the other party offers, while they are standing there, in order to verify it.

Secondly, to photograph the person's licence.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I believe there is a scheme for compensating victims of uninsured drivers, don't know any more, try Googling it.

I unfortunatley did the same to sombody else a couple of weeks ago, but I did give him the correct details and am now in the process of loosing my no claims bonus :(

Peter
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

You need to get in contact with "the motor insure's buro" (I think they are still called that) they may help.
Are the police looking into it ?

I to had a minor bump the other month, the other guy took a photo of me stood by my car, and checked my licence details, you can't blaim him I was in my work gear covered in oil and looking like a pikey :lol:
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

The police should be able to trace the owner of the vehicle and then try to determine who was driving. At least they should put the vehicle details onto the ANPR system so it flags up if it ever passes a traffic car.
Little tip for anyone in the same situation. The police will not attend an accident unless someone is injured , so call the police in the event of an accident and just say you've got some sort of injury. Then whoever the other part was would have their details checked at the scene when the police attend.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

My commiserations.

If you're hit by an uninsured, unlicensed driver, the chances are that if not stolen, the car isn't registered to the current 'owner', and/or doesn't relate to the plates on it.

In the event of a collision, I suggest that you offer some form of photo ID with proof of address and ask the other driver to do the same. If they say they can't, call the police saying you suspect the driver is uninsured and if appropriate not licensed or impaired. Photos aren't of any real use unless the driver is well-known to the local police.

It saves a load of hassle to keep a copy of your Insurance Certificate in the car - it's of no use to anyone else - but don't EVER leave the V5 Registration in the car!

When you sell a car, the law is that YOU MUST fill out the V5, getting the buyer to provide evidence of identity and address. You may not take payment in cash for more than £10,000 :D :D

Guy
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Very annoying!

At least the damage looks fairly superficial; I feel with a s/h wing, bumper and headlamp, and perhaps a little light fettling to the inner wing you should be back on the road...
Jonathan
1986 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.5
1979 GS 1220 Club Estate awaiting more welding
1952 David Brown 30D awaiting new liners
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Commiserations on 'meeting' the uninsured moron; everything's been covered
on this subject already. I agree with Jonathan on the damage itself too. Whilst
I like the Rat look - it says "don't mess with me Mr..." the car appears to
have escaped with superficial damage largely concentrated to the front wing
though the grille surround and headlamp glass will be required too.

A trip to a local car dismanter will likely see a wing, front bumper etc possibly
even in the right colour with costs probably not exceeding £50ish. OK, it's money
you weren't going to spend on the car in this way a day or two back but you
have to move forwards with it as the car WILL draw unwelcome attention to
itself now from plod if you do drive it like pictured. Failing a breaker, try ebay
for one of those wiper or wheelnut for sale auctions!

Andrew
citroen7
My Cars: 73 stag,86 bx gt 89 bxgti 90 bxgti 4x4 91 metor auto 97 p38 2004 c5 2.0 vtr 2006 c5 estate 1.6

Post by citroen7 »

is yours a mk1 ? if so i have all the bits to fix yours for a few beer tokens plus the postage :D
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Having just looked at the picture again, the damge is almost identical to that on my XM, wing, bumper, grill and lights. You escaped bonnet damage in exactly the same way, the wing looks like yours but all its done to the bonnet is chip the paint off the corner.

I have all the front off now and have the replacement parts, kindly supplied by an XM club member, wrong colour - but you can't have everything.

Peter
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Comiserations to you!

Look how that wing has SPLIT open! Scarey! Has the inner wing caught any of it?? Looks unscathed... Quite a possible fix up that...

Glad you werent hurt..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

My symathies are with you brings back memories :twisted:

A few years back someone ran into the back of my car (V****A) and gave me false details although i did record the vehicle reg correctly.My insurance (fully comp) paid up and i didnt loose any bonus etc.I still dont know if they traced the idiot but as i passed all correct info to them regarding the accident they said their fraud/legal team would deal with it.

Hopefully as you have the correct vehicle info then you should get the car repaired and your insurer will have to do the chasing to find the other party.
I am led to believe we all pay a certain percentage of our insurance premium to help cover the costs of those that dont bother with getting cover :evil:
Glad you are ok and hope that the car is returned to sevice asap

Colin
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

There are so many selfish gits about. May not help but I took photos with my phone when someone dinted me.

IF they don't want to then you know they're hooky.
C'est pas possible!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Had someone in a sherpa van indicate to pull into the road I was waiting to pull out from in my first Xantia, even slowed down, so I started to move out, then he didn't turn.
I hit the brakes and pulled left so it was a glancing blow off the OS corner of my bumper against his NS wing, which proceeded to let out a shed load of rusty, brackish water.
He didn't want to go through insurance companies, fine by me, I didn't want to lose my NCB, so he got in touch a couple of days later saying £200 for a replacement wing and respray.
I agreed, then the next day he phoned and left a message saying there was a huge gouge in the tyre, that would be £120 on top of the £200 he wanted.
So I went round to his place at night to check for myself.
Not a mark on the tyre, and not a tax disc in sight.
So I phoned him and left a message that because it was so much I'd have to go through insurance companies, could he call me and give me his details.
Never heard any more from it.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Its always a good idea to carry a camera in the car for such eventualities, it can remember things we forget and provides evidence for the insurance company.

Has this forum gone widescreen or is it my computer?