Name this part and purpose!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaFT

Name this part and purpose!

Post by XantiaFT »

Hello everyone,

New on the forum, but could use your help. I've got a Xantia 99 S-reg 2.0 16v hatch Exclusive with just under 117K. Runs very well apart from one very annoying thing...as follows...

When the engine is on, whether it's cold or up to normal temperature, there's a ticking noise coming from the central dash area. It sounds as if it's coming from behind the clock or where the temp sensor is. I'm confident it's not the sensor fan clipping against wires or similar due to the following...when opening the bonnet, the same exact clicking noise is produced by a component situated right behind the near side headlight unit. It is a red-ish coloured plastic housed sensor/valve of some sort. It's got a flat dome shaped bit on the right with the diameter of a 50 pence piece. On the right it's got a connector and a 5 pence piece diameter rubber hose reaching all the way to the air/throttle manifold. There is a wire that extends from the dome bit on the right hand side and seems to go into the near side wing somewhere.

In any case, it's a very fast clicking noise, which is being transmitted all the way into the cabin. I don't know what it's called or what its purpose is. I've tried searching everywhere for it and the closest I've come to is either an 'electro valve' or 'vacuum pump', but I can't find any pictures of them to compare! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Marc.
brmartyn
My Cars: Citroen C8

Post by brmartyn »

Hi Marc and welcome to the forum 8-)

You've definantly come to the right place about your problem, I'm a bit of a novice myself but the guys on here are true experts when it comes to all things French!!

I've had a few little problems with my Xantia Exclusive and the guys here are always more than happy to help me :D :D :D

I'm sure you'll get a few posts in the very near future in reply to your problem so just sit back and relax until then :)
Brady

Citroen C8 2.2 HDI Exclusive 2006/06

Previous French cars -
Renault Megane Tourer 2004/54 1.9 DCI Privilege
Citroen Xantia 1998/S 2.0 16v Exclusive Automatic
Renault Laguna Sports Tourer Dymanique 2001/51
Citroen Saxo VTR 2000/W
XantiaFT

Post by XantiaFT »

Thanks very much...have to go to work in a min...so will check back tomorrow AM.
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Hi Marc,
Welcome, there are lots of helpful people here, its a great forum.

Now I'm no expert but it sounds to me like your describing the electrovalve for the carbon canister. In which case frequent rapid ticking is normal part of its function.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome Marc :D

The noise could well be the cabin temperature sensor fan. If you look at the middle of the dash, just to the left of the clock is a small grille. behind here is a temperature sensor and a small fan to circulate air over it. The fan often ticks.

Cure is to blow out any dust and debris in there with one of the aerosol dusters you can get for PCs or even blowing down a straw.

If it is the fan and a blow-out does not fix it, taking the sensor out and lubing it will but that's a major job :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Welcome XantiaFT,

Does it look like this :)

As Sid_the_Squid has already told this is the electrovalve related to "canister depollution absorber".
If it's touching or hitting the car body then the noise would be heard from inside the car.
Also its ticking is more noisy in cold weather :) .
As a solution you can wrap around some soft material like piece of foam mat
and secure it with a cable tie.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

VertVega wrote: As a solution you can wrap around some soft material like piece of foam mat
and secure it with a cable tie.
That's exactly what they do in the MK1 V6 :D

Makes it so quiet, you can't hear it even if you want to...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Subzero degrees Image and French car makes you try the limits of your "creative thinking". :lol:
XantiaFT

Post by XantiaFT »

VertVega - thanks very much...that's how it looks just a little more red-ish/pink-ish in colour. But the shape and connectors are all the same. I'll try covering it with some foam stuff and see how it goes. What's it for? Appreciate it's noiser in the cold temperatures, but is it something that will need replacing? If so, is it quite straight forward? Thanks everyone for their advice so far... :D
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Electrovalve is part of the system which recycles excess gases from fuel (A GREEN car concept 8-) ).
Valve is connected to the pipe which is between throttle house and pollution canister.
It is a cylindrical container located somewhere under the battery and can be seen from under the car, looking upwards :) .
There is a second pipe which is connected to the canister.
This goes to the box which is right next to the fuel filler cap but
it can only be seen from rear wheel side and inner wheel arch removed.
Fuel tank venting pipes (2 of them) are also connected to this box.
I hope you get some idea from the above explanation.

You don't have to change it for the noise :) just wrap it with foam mat.
XantiaFT

Post by XantiaFT »

Thanks...will wrap it up and post back...