bent jacking points

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CITMAN
My Cars:

bent jacking points

Post by CITMAN »

i noticed today while checking my engine mount under my 1995 zx 1.4i without jacking, that one of the front right jacking point on the sill has bent and seems to coming away from the sill.
However when I jacked the car using its own jack to check its strength I noticed that it started to bend even more. Has anyone else ever known this happen. can this be repaired or im i stuffed.
Im starting to get fed up with the heap of junk.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

The strengthened areas on the sills can get bent by using a jack other than the one supplied with the vehicle. Putting a trolley jack underneath the jacking point will certainly bend it. If it's badly damaged, you might have to resort to welding.
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnD</i>

Putting a trolley jack underneath the jacking point will certainly bend it. If it's badly damaged, you might have to resort to welding.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Scary, John! I don't think I've ever known a tyre fitting depot use anything other than a trolley jack!
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Currently, there are three Citroens on our drive. The Xantia's jacking areas are slightly rounded with two 'nibs' pointing downwards. The Saxo has broader 'nibs' which fold inwards and the Xsara has broad 'nibs' which bend outwards. Each vehicle has it's own design of jack which are not interchangeable. Sticking a trolley jack under the sill is going to do damage.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Unless you stick the jack to something more solid, and pad the top of the jack with a piece of wood to spread the load and deform to a better shape. I tend to jack to either the front or rear sub frame, or if i have to go in from the side i have a flat piece of steel the width of the 'proper' jacking points, that seems to stop them getting crushed.
On the racer we now have a BIG piece of steel bolted onto the front, just below the rad and dont even have to think about where the jack goes. But when you have 5 minutes to plug a hundred leaks and change tyres and brake pads, then it comes in VERY useful :)