Brake fade on ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

henleyryan

Brake fade on ZX

Post by henleyryan »

I have a 1996 ZX with the XUD9A engine and it's always had a lot of trouble stopping since I bought it a year ago. I've put it down to extreme pad fade as it is ok first thing in the morning but get's worse very quickly after a few brakings.

My first thought was to get better pads with a higher operating temperature but a friend has said I'd do better to swap the solid discs for vented ones. At 20.4mm they are just over twice the thickness of the standard solid ones.

Is it possible to take the solid ones out and the vented ones fit straight in their place? Or would the expensive pads still be a better idea?
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I think you may struggle unless the calipers can accomodate this. Need to check also that vented disc are same dia as they may be slightly larger dia overall.

I've had that model but it was an estate which would have higher spec brakes .........they were fine. Better pads and a brake service check might help things ......or uprate brake calipers discs the lot.........£ouch! :)
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

My ZX suffered from nasty brake fade too. Upgrade pads is definitely the way to go.
As for changing the discs around the calipers for vented discs are slightly different I'm afraid.
Vented disc versions have the Girling CJN48 caliper.
Solid disc versions have the Girling J48 caliper.

There's quite a lot different between the two by the looks of things. But I'd imagine they mount to the hub the same way, so they're probably interchangeable. Although having not seen both kinds I can't say for sure.

Perhaps it is time for a little scrapheap research?
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have you replaced both the discs and the pads together?

the reason I ask is that I had a similar problem with our ZX 1.9D. When I got it I fitted new pads but left the discs as they looked OK. I think I used Delohi pads as I'd had them on my BX without problems. However the things wouldn't bed in and although everything looked OK they never seemed to work very well.

Eventually I bought new discs and pads and set to work. My initial thoughts were 'Why am I replacing these discs - they still look OK' but as I had the bits I took it all apart.

As soon as I removed the pads I could see the problem. There was the shiny wear area - then a dull rusty ring at the centre. The problem was that the pads I'd fitted were a different shape to the original ones I'd removed in the first place and the reason they hadn't bedded in was that they were rubbing on the rusty (and unworn) ring.

New discs and pads - immediate improvement and to be honest they're about as good as those on my ZX TD estate (ventilated fronts, bigger drums back)

Its also important that the back brakes work properly - they do 30 - 40% of the work.
jeremy