coolant thermostat change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Blackdog
My Cars:

coolant thermostat change

Post by Blackdog »

recently I had no heat coming from the blower..changed thermo and flushed the coolant system and I mean FLUSH...also filled up properly with header tank and bled...on some journeys she sits just fine at around 90 degrees right bang in the middle...other times when fan is switched on the temp rises big time..turn fan off and she goes straight back to normal again...occasionaly without the fan on at all the temp goes up and down...also when idling if fan is on idle speed is up just a touch fan off and idle back to normal...Im wondering if it is a faulty sensor?? or maybe she still has a block somewhere?? what do you think?
I.9TD Green xantia estate sx 96.
1.9TD Green xantia estate sx 99.
Blackdog
My Cars:

Post by Blackdog »

Meant to add I do now have super heating and no smell of cats...but the wavering temp gauge aint right...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

That does sound like you have an airlock in it somewhere or (less likely) a blockage with a foreign body that's moving about.

I'd be tempted to just re-bleed it again carefully (no need to drain it just make sure its full and then re-bleed)

I thought about a faulty coolant sensor which would explain fans and gauge possibly, although that would not explain the lack of heating...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Blackdog
My Cars:

Post by Blackdog »

interested in your reply about radiator fans!! as I have always been suspicious of them...they never seem to come on...ok its cold weather just now but if the temp gauge was a true reading and it was that hot then I should hear them....the last xantia I had was so audible when the fans kicked in...to be honest Ive not fully checked and tested them but I did always think that this could be the problem or part of it...also foreign body sounds like a good culprit too...I reckon I need to remove the radiator flush clean and maybe replace...there was so much dirty water coming out of her when I flushed that it made me think there was a serious build up somewhere...and I found a spare sensor lodged down by the battery!! obviously the previous owner had had temp problems and tried changing a sensor...it must be a combination of fans not working and a foreign body..thanks for your post
Blackdog
My Cars:

Post by Blackdog »

other issue is that I can only find one bleed screw..the obvious one amongst the four pipes on top running to the matrix...I have been told there are at least another one maybe to...but hey I cant find them??? if it was a bleed problem and I have read many threads on how carefull you have to be refilling these xantias..that would save me getting a new rad!!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds more like an electrical problem than a temperature one, putting the heater fan on will normally cause the temperature to drop, there must be some connection between the fan load and instrument panel voltage
Blackdog
My Cars:

Post by Blackdog »

yeah I think its a voltage problem why would all sensors.. idle. and temp react to the fan going off or on...and temp wouldnt drop that rapidly when fan switched off if it was reading real temp!!..it would take longer to drop...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would suggest either a common earth connection or a common feed with a high resistance connection somewhere.
Blackdog
My Cars:

Post by Blackdog »

thanks peter n...will take a look at her at weekend
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The other bleed screw is on the end of the connection pipe elbow that goes into the heater matrix, its hard to see, but if you look behind the engine were the pipes go into the bulk head, on the end of there, is another bleed screw cap..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Blackdog
My Cars:

Post by Blackdog »

OK Thanks Paul will have a good root around where you suggest..I reckon in the near future Im gonna replace the rad aswell its dodgy looking down the bottom when we had her up on the ramps yesterday I got a good look at it...
spider

Post by spider »

If the rad on these is like the 406 one, take care with the bottom hose. At minimum you`ll probably want a new o-ring for it. :)
Andy.

Blackdog
My Cars:

Post by Blackdog »

Yeah Ive also heard that the top hose clip can be a nightmare too!
spider

Post by spider »

Top one probably will be OK, simply as you have plenty of space to get around it. :)
Andy.