C5 non starter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TopDonkey
My Cars:

C5 non starter

Post by TopDonkey »

Its just typical, I take my 406 off the road for a week to do the head gasket which has been loosing water for over a month, and the exact day i start to dismantle the engine, my citroen C5 decides to play up !

Citroen C5 2001 2.0 HDI 110BHP saloon

I wonder if anyone has come across this before ?, i am using lexia, and get good communication with all the modules (except air con for some reason), and i read the faults, cleared the faults and 1 faults stays permanently there and stops the engine starting, fault is below

Permanent fault. Diesel pressure signal . Short circuit to + or open circuit

ecu fault code P0190
engine speed 0 rpm
regulator current 47Ma
fuel temperature 4 degrees C
fuel pressure 1490 bar
fuel pressure regulator open cycle ratio 4.7%

This is with the ignition turned on, but no attempt at starting the engine, yet the ecu thinks there is 1490 bar in the rail !!, so am i right in thinking theres either a wiring fault ?, or maybe a faulty rail pressure sensor ?

Anyone come across this before and found an easy fix ?, i'm supposed to be going to eastbourne at 7:30am tomorrow morning !!

HELP !!
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

I'll answer my own question in case anyone searches and has the same problem in the future

I unplugged the fuel rail pressure sensor and cleared the codes again, only to find out that the code was still there and it thought it had 1450bar in the fuel rail with the engine off, so i knew it had to be a wiring fault, i had already had the modified loom fitted going to the rail pressure sensor, so followed it down the the original connector to find someone has punched through the insulation to backprobe the rail pressure sensor at some time in the past, and the tiny holes in the insulation has let in the salt water and completely corroded the wires into 1 big blob of corrosion that was shorting them out with a random resistance, so i cut out the corroded part of the loom, rejoined it and plugged it in, cleared the codes and it didnt come back, turned the key to start the engine and it fired up instantly !

I've driven over 300 miles today and it has driven faultlessly, so i consider it fixed, case closed !!
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Well done with that one. An unusual fault.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.