Rear sphere movement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Rear sphere movement

Post by Dommo »

Hi folks

The rear of my Xantia Activa has been up on axle stands for about 3 weeks now, and I noticed yesterday that there is quite a lot of movement in the two rear corner spheres.

I was under the impression it's like a typical shock absorber in design just with a sphere on the end, and shouldn't slop about. It's as though the shaft of the shock is slopping about in the shock body, if that makes sense.

I've no idea if that's normal though!?

Cheers.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Totally normal, and the reason why you have to set the suspension on high to crack the rear spheres when you go to remove them.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Thank God for that, I must admit I did panic a bit when I saw so much slop in them. I hoped the slop would go when it was put on the ground but as I can't do that just yet I was very worried!

Is the shock/strut effectively held in place with an interference fit - between the trailing arm and body of the car?

Cheers.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Indeed, totally normal but scary the first time you see it though :lol: :lol:

Like a lot of things on a hydraulic Citroen really..

Dom, did your brother make you a ram bush?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Yes very scary the first time you see it!

And yes he did... But it's made out of graphited PTFE. So we're not sure how long it'll last... Better than what was in it though, the balls were totally missing, it was literally the inner race and outer race bashing into eachother. Which is probably what happens to all of them!

He says he'd make me one out of polyurethane if he could get some liquid nitrogen or similar to make it verrrry cold (and machinable). If you happen to make a batch of your nylon ones I'd still like to have one ;)

Cheers.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Your bush looked like this one then Dom...

That's how they go. Rubbish really...

Graphited PTFE should be fine :D My moly filled Nylon66 ones seem to last at least a year.

My own Activa will be getting one soon as my genuine bush is pretty worn after just 10,000 miles :o
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Mine was even worse than that would you believe. It's in pieces under the car now actually ;)

We'll see how it goes with the graphited PTFE, as it's self lubricating it should be smoother (and less knocky) than the bearing that came off!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dommo wrote: He says he'd make me one out of polyurethane if he could get some liquid nitrogen or similar to make it verrrry cold (and machinable). If you happen to make a batch of your nylon ones I'd still like to have one ;)
I thought about polyurethane Dom and there is a grade that can be machined after freezing in a domestic freezer. Quite how you keep it cold in a lathe though is another matter! Make 'em in the winter and leave the workshop door open I guess :lol:

I also asked one of the makers of polybushes if they would make a batch a year or so ago. Absolute zero interest or enthusiasm from them for the job as they only do seriously big batches for popular cars. :(

Yes, I need to make a couple soon so I'll do one for you...
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Mine's something like that too.
Explains why the back feels rattly

DIY sphere tool
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Well according to my brother someone he asked said you could go to a particular place in a hospital and ask for some liquid nitrogen and they'll give you some.

How much truth there is in that I'm not sure, but if anything ever comes of it I'll make sure a few bushes get made! I'll ask around for the liquid nitrogen when I'm on placement in hospital again (student radiographer, only 5 months to go until I'm qualified, yikes :shock: )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dommo wrote:, but if anything ever comes of it I'll make sure a few bushes get made! I'll ask around for the liquid nitrogen when I'm on placement in hospital again (student radiographer, only 5 months to go until I'm qualified, yikes :shock: )
Hey, I wonder of you could x-ray a ram to get an idea of the internal construction of one Dom :idea: :D

That would be incredibly valuable!
Jim

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

If you remember Jim, you let me have an old one of these joints to see if we could get our rubber people to make them.

The problem is that the bush is a rose joint, to make one out of ptfe, polyurathne or any other substance just will not allow the correct movement of the strut.

I could get them machined very easy and quite cheap too, but as a plain bush they just will not last.

In the future this may well be the only option and owners of Activa cars will just have to get a bag full and replace them as they wear.

Regards
Martin.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:
Dommo wrote: He says he'd make me one out of polyurethane if he could get some liquid nitrogen or similar to make it verrrry cold (and machinable). If you happen to make a batch of your nylon ones I'd still like to have one ;)
I thought about polyurethane Dom and there is a grade that can be machined after freezing in a domestic freezer. Quite how you keep it cold in a lathe though is another matter! Make 'em in the winter and leave the workshop door open I guess :lol:
Wart removal spray.

DIY sphere tool
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

CitroJim wrote:

That's how they go. Rubbish really...
Pleiades wrote: The problem is that the bush is a rose joint, to make one out of ptfe, polyurathne or any other substance just will not allow the correct movement of the strut.
So why can't you just fit a new rose bearing? e.g. see here