Intermittent problems on Xantia (wipers and interior lights)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wainy
My Cars:

Intermittent problems on Xantia (wipers and interior lights)

Post by wainy »

Hi,

I've got two intermittent faults on my S1 TD Estate, both annoying :evil: rather than serious.

1) At the moment, the interior lights don't come on, either with the doors or on the switches. Bulbs and fuse OK. This has happened before but fixed itself. Now its happened again. I know this could be linked to the alarm in some way :?: but could do with some advice on what to look for.

2) I have intermittent intermittent wipe, if that makes sense! Every now and again, the windscreen wipers lose their intermittent setting so I have to go to the the next setting or use flick wipe. This is one of those problems that is there one day and not the next so could be a nightmare to trace! Or is it just that something's on its way out?

Any help on both these issues gratefully accepted!

Thanks.
WAINY

2016 C4 Picasso Exclusive (Black)
1983 GSA X1 (Black - being restored)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

For the door switches, have you tried pulling on one of them?
The plunger bit that the door presses against when closed I mean.
They're simple push to make switches and sometimes the spring inside which does the pushing gets weak so they don't make enough contact for the lights to come on.

Trying to remember on the S1 if they're bayonet bulbs or push in tubes.
I know on the S2 they're bayonet type, and the contact tabs have a habbit of bending away from the power contacts, so although the bulbs are good, they're not getting any juice, so bend the tabs up.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

good one xac they are bayonet in Mk 1's same as mk 2 's but the metal track that the interior light bulbs contact against gets corroded so pop out the whole light unit by putting a small screwdriver in the top inside edge of the fitting turn the bulbs anti clockwise to get them out do as xac says and then clean the contacts with some fine wet and dry in its dry state or use a dry washing up sponge scourer rough side to clean the contacts before putting the bulb back, intermittant wipers, I found was cured by replacing the wiper switch arm £45 at citroen cheaper on a scap yard. it could also be a relay acting up.

regards Nigel
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 05 Feb 2010, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
wainy
My Cars:

Post by wainy »

Thanks for the suggestions Xac. Don't think it can be the door switches. The interior lights aren't coming on with any of the doors. Also they don't come on with the switch on the light itself, so no power to them. I'll have a good investigation tomorrow and see what I find.
WAINY

wainy
My Cars:

Post by wainy »

Think I just posted at the same time as you Nigel...... spooky :shock: ! I'll do what you both suggest and report back tomorrow.
WAINY

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:good one xac they are bayonet in Mk 1's same as mk 2 's but the metal track that the interior light bulbs contact against gets corroded so pop out the whole light unit by putting a small screwdriver in the top inside edge of the fitting turn the bulbs anti clockwise to get them out do as xac says and then clean the contacts with some fine wet and dry in its dry state or use a dry washing up sponge scourer rough side to clean the contacts before putting the bulb back, intermittant wipers, I found was cured by replacing the wiper switch arm £45 at citroen cheaper on a scap yard. it could also be a relay acting up.

regards Nigel
wainey you dont need to remove the steering wheel to fit a new wiper arm its tight but it is possible without removing the wheel with the airbag in it.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

wainy wrote:Thanks for the suggestions Xac. Don't think it can be the door switches. The interior lights aren't coming on with any of the doors. Also they don't come on with the switch on the light itself, so no power to them. I'll have a good investigation tomorrow and see what I find.
Definitely time to get a OVA meter on the bulb contacts to see if there's any juice.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car

Xac, it could just be contacts that's all none of my interior lights worked recently my xantia stood unused over Christmas in very cold weather and they all failed because my drivers door doesn't fit properly the car got damp inside and the bulbs failed cleaned them all off and they all work now, even the boot light packed in.

fortunately I bought a door from Citrojim which is in the spray shop at the Mo

airtight again soon. regards Nigel.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:you dont need to remove the steering wheel to fit a new wiper arm its tight but it is possible without removing the wheel with the airbag in it.
Sorry, on a Mk1 you do need to remove the steering wheel, unless you are prepared to break the lower cowling (not a smart idea).

I would guess the relay as more likely to have failed than the switch in this instance.
wainy
My Cars:

Post by wainy »

Interior lights sorted. As per the advice, the connection between the bulb carrier and the body of the light assembly wasn't brilliant on either light. Did the wet and dry + bending the connections a little and it all works perfectly now :). Funny how they both failed at the same time isn't it? Must be down to the weather or something?!

Thanks for tips......... going to leave the wipers for now I think.
WAINY