ECU opening

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Toby_HDi
My Cars:

ECU opening

Post by Toby_HDi »

Just a quick question now I've recieved the VN05Ns to repair my ECU.

Should I expect a gooey mess when I open it? What should I seal it back up with?

Off to practice with my new desoldering pump :lol:
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It may be a function of ambient heat in Australia, but I found the perimeter gasket was rather like that foam strip around the edge of the door foam seals.

Getting the separation started was hard, I used 4mm flatblade screwdriver tips as wedges; wiggle one in, detach it from the driver and work another one in nearby.

Once the PCB screws were removed, the board was carefully persuaded free of the case - it was again well-stuck. I made an effort to not flex the PCB.

For resealing, I cleaned the gasket groove with paint stripper while the case halves were empty. I plan to use the round section rubber that's sold for making O-rings with. Socket face sealing and auxiliary bonding will be achived with Threebond #1211 which is a super-thin white neutral silicone sealant.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Desoldering pump works a treat! Tis electric so is like a soldering iron itself with a pump built in. Leaves a thin ring of solder behind that the new solder flows onto to secure the new component. I'm amazed, something that is actually quite well though out!

I didn't realise it was like a gasket, I thought it was sealed with sealant and screwed for extra security. Is this gasket type thing essential or would sealant be enough?
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Stuff like the original seal, only keeps honest people out.

I reckon it's intended to create a moisture/dust barrier; in a damp country this might help reduce condensation forming inside the unit.

Using only liquid sealant, might make the box extremely hard to open again - plan for a possible need to revisit rather than thinking about the "here and now" only.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Opening the ECU box is very much as you say Adam. Remove the four big screws and carefully lever apart. There is a channel in the joint and this is filled with silicone. Once the box is apart you'll then see the board. To get it out, remove the fixing screws and the screws each side of each connector and gently lever the plug bodies out. These are stuck to the case with more silicone to make it all waterproof.

When you finally reassemble, use automotive grade silicone, put beads around the connectors and screw them home. Then put a bead in the channel of the box halves and screw it up tight. Job done.

This stuff will allow the ECU to come apart again Adam, no worries at all. I've done it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...