Xantia plip reciever - what's missing?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

skog77
My Cars:

Xantia plip reciever - what's missing?

Post by skog77 »

As you might have guessed by now, i havent bought a Xantia in mint condition, considering the number of threads i've started here.. However, with a new height corrector, and heater regulator and driver key lock it's almost perfect (it was dirt cheap).

Now: for some strange reason, the previous owner has been tampering with the plip key reciever. Possibly due to an uncooperative alarm (VDO) which has a tendency of going off every time i open the door. (Unlocking does not disarm it). The siren isnt working so im not waking up the neighbourhood, and the alarm can be disarmed with a button next to the steering wheel.

However, i really would like the plip key to work. Here's a picture of what's left inside the hole (the cover is gone). My mate who used to own a Xantia clames there's nothing missing but i am not so sure.

Anyone?
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Skogg, that does not look like ether an early or later type key blip for a Xantia, unless they are using different types further north! :shock: Whatever it is, it ain't complete. No wonder you cannot turn off your alarm. :lol: :lol:
skog77
My Cars:

Post by skog77 »

handyman wrote:Hi Skogg, that does not look like ether an early or later type key blip for a Xantia, unless they are using different types further north! :shock: Whatever it is, it ain't complete. No wonder you cannot turn off your alarm. :lol: :lol:
Well i'm assuming the black bit in the middle with the three capacitators or whatevery they are are supposed to go into the little dome that sticks out from the panel.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Why isn't it complete??? What makes you think its not complete, or NOT a Xantia reciver??

It looks perfectly fine to me, there should be 3 IR Reciver units, which looks like there is..

Is the key transmitting correctly?? Point the LED on the end of the key into a digital camera and check to see if theres a WHITE light emmitting from it..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Paul, you are right, as I thought it was the blip that was in the photo. :oops: Too late and too tired to be looking at photos!

I think your recommendations for testing the receiver is Skogs only way forward. Unless his blip is faulty or has a flat battery.

Handyman
skog77
My Cars:

Post by skog77 »

citroenxm wrote:Why isn't it complete??? What makes you think its not complete, or NOT a Xantia reciver??
It looks perfectly fine to me, there should be 3 IR Reciver units, which looks like there is..
Is the key transmitting correctly?? Point the LED on the end of the key into a digital camera and check to see if theres a WHITE light emmitting from it..
Paul
The thing that made me think it's incomplete is that when i bought the car, the cover was gone and the receiver was hanging down inside the car. I have no clue what it's supposed to look like, but i assumed it had been tampered with.

The key isn't working, probably just needs new batteries. I'll get working on that now i just wanted to make sure the receiver is fine before starting to work on the key. Otherwise i'd have to go on ebay or to the scrapyard.

Considering the other work done to this car, i wouldn't be surprised if the previous owner had started ripping the receiver apart cause they key ran out of battery. The guy hooked the stereo up to the ignition so i lost all the programming every time i switch the engine off. :roll: That's already taken care of

:wink:
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

i before e except after c
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

rmunns wrote:i before e except after c
Are you a teacher ? :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
skog77
My Cars:

Post by skog77 »

OK update, now that'ive confirmed that the receiver is OK, i've replaced the batteries. It's not transmitting, seems like the IR emitter has come loose from the circuit board. I should be able to solder that on :)

Thanks for the help, i just wanted to make sure all the bits were in place on the reciver before i started this :D
skog77
My Cars:

Post by skog77 »

?
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

skog77 wrote:
?
Dont worry about it... he noticed you spelt Reciver as - receiver

Well done with the PLIP, yes they do solder relativly well if you handy with a Soldering Iorn..

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
skog77
My Cars:

Post by skog77 »

citroenxm wrote:
skog77 wrote:
?
Dont worry about it... he noticed you spelt Reciver as - receiver

Well done with the PLIP, yes they do solder relativly well if you handy with a Soldering Iorn..

Paul
Ah well, if anyone needs any help with their Norwegian, let me know :)

I should be able to solder them on relatively easy. Seems like the solder points are very small, no wonder it came loose. Atleast the legs look fine.

Excellent!
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

For Norwegian your typing English is Fantastic, if you had no location on your details, id swear you were in the UK.!!

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto