406 Hdi Engine Movement Limiter

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Brixkev

406 Hdi Engine Movement Limiter

Post by Brixkev »

Hi,
Whilst spending a not inconsiderable amount of hours under my car fixing things, I noticed that the rubber block of my engine movement limiter has all but disintegrated.
I would very much like to get this fixed, but I am unsure of what I need to get. Is it just a new rubber block, or a more integrated assembly. Any advice on helping to get this fixed would be greatfully received.
Regards,
Brixkev
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Kev, welcome to the forum :D

When you say engine movement limiter, I presume you are referring to the engine mounts.

Which one? the top RH or the lower mount attached to the subframe?

If the top mount or the torque reaction bush on the inner wing then the whole assemblies has to be purchased as I do not believe the bushes are available separately even though they can in theory be pressed out and replaced. This is certainly the case with Citroen. They cost around £50 a go.

The donut in the lower mount may be replaceable separately although it is a hell of a job. It is a replaceable item on the 1.9TD. Ideally the casting has to be removed and a hydraulic press used to replace the donut although it can be done in-situ with difficulty.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Brixkev

Post by Brixkev »

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the quick reply. It's the one which connects the engine to the subframe. On the engine side, it is part of the intermediate drive shaft bearing holder.
I dont like the sound of having to use a hydraulic press!
When looking at the engine with the bonnet up, it seems to move quite a bit when I give it a bit of throttle, but I'm not sure if it moving enough to cause problems i.e. is it just a comfort thing, or could I mess something else up by just ignoring it?
Regards,
Kevin.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Brixkev wrote: When looking at the engine with the bonnet up, it seems to move quite a bit when I give it a bit of throttle, but I'm not sure if it moving enough to cause problems i.e. is it just a comfort thing, or could I mess something else up by just ignoring it?
Regards,
Kevin.
Hi Kevin,

Some movement is normal but excessive movement can cause snatching and in extreme cases, on the 90 HDi, can cause it to jump out of gear. Usually these bushes die from oil contamination. If they get saturated they will perish and collapse.

Replacement is best done by removing the whole casting (after removing the RH Driveshaft) and using a hydraulic press to get the old one out and the new one in. Some people have used a threaded rod, sockets and big washers to get the bush in and out in-situ but I've never tried this method so cannot comment. I've only ever done it the hard way...

Generally, if the donut is dry, looks good (not deformed) with no cracks in the rubber and the engine only moves to a small degree under acceleration then all is OK. It is when you can move the engine back and forth easily by hand then you know the bush is really bad...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...