Pug 806 Head Gasket

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CarlB
My Cars:

Pug 806 Head Gasket

Post by CarlB »

Hi Folks

I'm new here , and new to Peugeot ownership. I have just been screwed, having recently bought an 806 which turns out to have a couple of problems not least the head gasket has blown. Its a 1997, 2 litre petrol.

There is water in the oil, and bubbles coming up through the coolant. I don't think it has overheated though as the needle doesn't go up over 90 by much before the electric fan kicks in and brings the temperature down. However it does puff out a lot of white smoke, especially when cold. I have just changed the oil, not sure there was much point but it hadn't been done fro ages by the look of it, so I did it anyway. Seems much better, but there is definetly still water in the oil. I was kinda hoping that the creamy sludge under the oil filler would just be because of the cold weather and lots of short journeys, but that's just wishfull thinking!

Anyway, how easy is it to do the head gasket on one of these, can it be done with the engine in situ? Looks to me like there might be enough room to get the head off through the bonnet. Are any special tools needed? Any advice or help would be much appreciated, espacially as there aren't any Haynes manuals for this one.

Also when its cold the engine has a habit of cutting out, sometimes even when moving!

Thanks In Advance

Carl
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

I've done a head gasket on a 1998 806 a couple of years ago, cant remember the finer details of it, but it isnt too difficult and everything does come out through the bonnet opening, you do need access from underneath to get to some of the manifold bolts on the back of the block i seem to remember, so get it on some axle stands before you get started

It took me about 5 hours to get the head off, and about the same again to refit, but it was off the road for 2 weeks as i took the head for a check skim inbetween removing and refitting
CarlB
My Cars:

Post by CarlB »

Thanks mate, thats all good to hear.

I had an espace a few years ago with the same problem and discovered that you had the take the engine out from underneath to get at the head, in the end someone did us a favour and drove into the back of it!!

But looking at it I might have a go at the Peugeot. Am gutted though as I bought it to go down to Disneyland, Paris in next week, the seller must have known about its faults but had done a good job of hiding them. I don't really want risk driving it that far, especially as the engine keeps cutting out as well.
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

does it cut out when you let off the power to change gear or coast ?, or will it die whilst you have your foot down and accelerating or cruising ?
CarlB
My Cars:

Post by CarlB »

It dies when you put the clutch in, it also died whilst sat out side the house yesterday, I was warming the engine before doing the oil change. Engine will falter and sometimes die when you are doing a low speed manouver just as you are feathering the throttle, such as pulling out of a parking space. Then it won't restart staright away, it takes a couple of attempts.

My thoughts were that it may be a sensor somewhere, what do you think?
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

I had a similar problem with mine when i had it, turned out to the the idle air controller valve, they are about £30 and its 2 bolts and 1 connector, easy to change