Help with a decision

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Help with a decision

Post by Toby_HDi »

I'm aware this has been covered before in a previous thread but I'm now looking at changing jobs and going for a 3 year apprenticeship with Esso at Fawley Refinery. I'll earn more than what I'm currently on and will be working towards various engineering qualifications
Having been to the open evening I'm going to apply but I have a question...

There are 4 areas which can be applied for. 3 of them interest me and 2 have really piqued my interest. I think I know which one I want to do but as I know there are some of you with experience in the engineering industry I thought I'd ask which one is likely to get me further in the long term.

There is instrumentaion which concerns the workings of various instruments in the plant that control flow, pressure, temperature etc.

There is also Machinery which deals with the heavy machinery, installing and repairing pumps, compressors etc.

The other was electrical which mainly concerns the power to the site.

It is the first two which I'm debating, I'm thinking instrumentation but it can't hurt to get some opinions on the subject.

Any help appreciated
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

I believe that the subject(s) that will serve you best are the ones that you find most interesting. That's where your motivation will come from and that's what will get you furthest in your career.

I recently had someone trying to get me to think about my ideal 'role'. I was thinking in terms of job titles and positions and the trouble is I just don't know if I'll enjoy something until I try it. It was a difficult question until a friend told me to stop thinking about 'role' as a job title but just a collection of things that job involves doing. Write as many things as possible that you like doing on a piece of paper and it's right there infront of you.. :wink:
1996 Xantia TD (Sold)
2004 Hyundai Trajet 2.7 V6 Auto
2000 Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

Toby,
Sound advice from Andy, I recently thought about applying for another job, but decided against, because, when you get over the daily grind of stuff that never changes, I actually enjoy what I do.....Sad but true :oops:
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php