C15D Handbrake cables.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chizzy
My Cars:

C15D Handbrake cables.

Post by chizzy »

Dear All
Replaced the rear axle on my 1990 C15 for one off a '99 T reg last night. Does anyone no if different H/brake cables are used between the different model years? I've looked on the GSF site but it would appear there is no difference. If this is true why are mine (old, stretched!) such a bar steward to engage at drum end? Any suggestions before I lose the last knuckle please?
Steve C
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Whats the problem with it, if you haven't allready got it sorted.
Dave
chizzy
My Cars:

Post by chizzy »

Dave I'm not sure I should need a jemmy to lever the arm on the shoe far enough forward to allow the nipple on the cable to pass behind the tab! Even when I do this the tab appears to have been turned over so tight as to prevent the cables from slotting in and thus engage the nipple. There is so little slack in cable that even if I could engage it I fear the handbrake will be on full time.
Yes I have slackened off the self adjusters as well.
Cheers Steve
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Slot the cable in with the shoe assembly away from the backplate, get a pair of pliers on the cable nipple and a pair of snipe nosed pliers behind them, then pull the nipple against the snipe nose pliers to compress the spring along the cable and then trap it so you have about 1 1/2 of bare cable up to the nipple.
You should be able to pull the handbrake lever on the shoe enough to slot the cable in, this is the method I use with this type of shoe set up, Iv'e never attempted to get a cable onto the lever with the shoes against the brake backplate.
I suppose the cables move freely and that the manual cable adjuster isn't done up to the hilt.
Dave
chizzy
My Cars:

Post by chizzy »

Thanks again for advice Dave. I won't say they flew back on but I still have some knuckles left!
Steve