AX GT Rumbling at speed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cheesesliceking

AX GT Rumbling at speed

Post by cheesesliceking »

Hello All,
I have an AX GT at around 50-60mph i get a rumbling sound and feeling coming through the footwell[:(] (Both sides) I changed the tyres and had the wheels balanced[:p] but... it has not made any difference.[:(]
Can anybody please help!!
[?]
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Could be worn wheel bearings.
You usually get a noise on slight bends, often worse when turning to one side or the other and quite often only shows up at certain speeds.
As the wear gets worse you get the noise more often and on straighter streaches of road.
This is from personal experience.
Checking the bearings with the car jacked up is not easy. Sometimes there will be an obvious noise when you spin the wheel or you'll be able to rock the wheel by holding the top and bottom and pushing/pulling toward/away from yourself but it is knowing what is normal and what is untoward.
cheesesliceking

Thanks for the info, I'll give them a check
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have you had a good look at the driveshafts? Is the rumbling the same straight and on corners?
Jeremy
cheesesliceking

Hi Jeremy,
I've not checked the drive shafts yet, its always on straights, and always over about 50mph, that said it doesnt happen all the time. Confused much.. YES I AM![:I][:I]
cheesesliceking

[B)] Yet <b>ANOTHER</b> problem with my AX GT,,,
Along with, the rumbling at speeds, My Central locking is shafted, the unit in the drivers door is dead, so i swapped it for the one form my previous ax gt, (Which worked) when i connect it to my other ax it doesnt work at all!.. I know there is power going to it as i have checked, & if i'm feeling brave if i use a thin strip of metal to bridge the gap between the two plugs that plug into the bottom of the dead unit it activates the central locking.. HELP![:o)]
i feel a fool bending down in Sainsburys car park with a piece of metal to open my boot!..[:(][:(]
http://www.andy-turner.co.uk
cheesesliceking

[:0][:0] can nobody help me out with the central locking??
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE [:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X]