citroen xantia diesel fuel filter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

miggy24
My Cars:

citroen xantia diesel fuel filter

Post by miggy24 »

Hi all where is the fuel filter on a 1995 xantia 1.9td
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

above the top hose on the thermostat. in a big round black canister with a hose coming off the top
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

It's in the black pot with coolant pipes going into it, to the right of the oil dip-stick. It should have four 4-5mm allen key head bolts in the top of it, undo those, start to remove the lid and expect diesel spillage, then there's the filter.

Make sure you put the filter back in with the seal around the metal lip.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

to kerb diesel spillage lay plenty of rag in front of the housing for filter removal onto the rag, diesel is a nightmare to clean off the driveway.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
miggy24
My Cars:

Post by miggy24 »

Hi guys thatnks for the help iv found it after i put the post up.i had to take the hole black pot bit off as there was so much crap at the bottom of it so now the car runs nice.Think the last owner had the car running on red diesel as there was loads of red flakes in the black pot and filter aswell as in the tank as i took out about a golf ball size of it out
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Personally, I always open the filter drain 'tap' (with clear plastic bottle under the end of the drain pipe) before I 'crack' the filter set-screws. This drains off almost all the fuel and any water.

With the filter top off and suitable sized disposable container in one hand, fish the filter element out with the other and drop it into the aforesaid container.

After fitting a new filter, close drain tap, and pump up fuel by hand.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
miggy24
My Cars:

Post by miggy24 »

Right well iv got the car running sweet as a nut now iv put new fuel/air filter in and i couldnt belive what the old air filter looked like looks like it hasnt been changed in years as it was black and even just pulling it out dust went every where so now im happy with the old girl
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

Now it's probably time to turn your attention to the suspension. Bleed the rear calipers and see what comes out. If it's not clean and bright green, you need to change the LHM and probably the 3 rear spheres as well. If you don't want to read right all the contributions in the excellent sticky on the subject, there is a comprehensive guide on my Xantia web page.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
miggy24
My Cars:

Post by miggy24 »

Does the LHM do the brakes too then.The brake pedel on mine is really hard and does not go down like all cars do its like a tap and thats it
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The LHM drives your steering, brakes and suspension.
From what you've said about your brake pedal, it looks like someone's removed the spring and replaced it with a bit of pipe.

There's something like a plastic top hat that plugs into the back of the brake pedal arm and pushes against the doseur valve which controls your brakes.
There should be a spring inside the top hat, giving a "normal" brake pedal feel rather than the on/off that the system has.
Often people who've driven older Citroens prefer the instant braking, so replace the spring with a couple of inches of copper pipe.
Reach under the brake pedal and pull the top hat out of it's socket directly away from the pedal arm. It may take some wiggling.
Open it up and look inside to see the pipe.
Put it all back in place, find somewhere which sells springs of the right size, and then swap them over.
Or go to a crap yard and nab a top hat with spring from an old Xantia.

What spec Xantia do you have as it affects the type and number of sphere's.
LX/SX have 6 spheres, the 4 corner ones being non-hydractive
VSX have 8 spheres, the 4 corner ones being hydractive, and two extra (over LX/SX) hydractive centre spheres. The corner ones are harder than the soft centre ones, which enables the VSX to be able to switch between hard and soft mode for safer handling.

VERY IMPORTANT!
If you ever need to get under the car, make damn sure it's supported on axle stands etc otherwise it could drop suddenly and squish you.

There's plenty of posts on sphere removal and what tools to make/buy, and how to check the condition of the accumulator sphere.

Check the black pipes between your injectors, if they're stiff they may need replacing. They eventually crack and let air into the fuel giving running and starting problems.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
miggy24
My Cars:

Post by miggy24 »

Xac you was right there is a bit of pipe behide the pedle so now i need to see if theres any xantia`s is the scrap yard