Xantia Forte HDI 2000 Sphere

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

billlew

Xantia Forte HDI 2000 Sphere

Post by billlew »

I have been quoted by my local Citroen Garage, £102 plus VAT (not fitted) for the front centre accumulator sphere, this seems excessive. Any comments please.
Are the sphere's interchangeable? Does anywhere do replica parts?

I've read the thread on changing the sphere.

Any help/advice/where to get one would be much appreciated
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Hey mate, you can get an accumulator sphere from many suppliers - there's nothing particularly special about it. A lot of people here like to shop at GSF.

Just ask for an accumulator sphere to suit Citroen XM or Xantia. You'll probably get change from £20.

Cheers, Adam.
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Yes sounds excessive, could be a Genuine Citroen sphere they are quoting for thought last time I checked these retailed for about £75. ahh just noticed you said without fitting, in that case I hope its a gold plated sphere they are offering!

As Addo says go to GSF its about £22 +vat, easy to change yourself on a HDi, you may have to remove the large intercooler pipe, should be held on with two jubilee clips one at either end. There's lots of topics on this site of how to change spheres do a quick search, shout if you need more help. :)
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
billlew

Post by billlew »

Picked one up from GSF in Lincoln today for £24.53.
Stil don't know the difference between the suspension ones and the centre one.
Thanks for the replies
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The centre hole at the threaded end is different, basically.

An accumulator sphere stores or "accumulates" high pressure fluid, and is designed to allow this fluid to rush out on demand, with no obstruction. As such its centre hole is rather large.

A suspension sphere has a much smaller hole as this regulates the flow of pressurised fluid out of - or into - the sphere. It's this aspect of control which provides the damping effect.
XMX

Post by XMX »

billlew wrote: Still don't know the difference between the suspension ones and the centre one.
Corner/suspension spheres have a valve/damper and different centre hole/orifice sizes (Dependent on which Citroen model there for) also the pressure/volume capacities can vary !
The Hydractive ones (the centre/middle ones) and Accumulator spheres do not have the damper/valve feature but again have different pressure/volume capacities dependent on vehicle type (Front/Rear or Accumulator etc.).

Read thro' THIS thread which will also give the link to the vehicle type/sphere fitment table.
Also I hope you've read thro' the STICKY on Sphere replacement etc. !

I hope this is of help.

XMX :D