its a mystery..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Blackdog
My Cars:

its a mystery..

Post by Blackdog »

Recently when I start the Xantia up after a few hundred yards she develops a "light" rattling sound coming from what feels like right under the drivers seat....it sounds like Ive left a spanner in there after working.....its not a knocking sound its a continous roll on roll off "spannery" sound...recently Ive been working under the car and didnt really have time to fully look at what could be causing it but did have a look all down the drivers underside but nothin obvious...whats right under the drivers seat anyway?? it all looks pretty sealed off to me...I just wonder if anyone knows what I should be looking for....its not the exhaust either...!! its a mystery..and needs sorted.
I.9TD Green xantia estate sx 96.
1.9TD Green xantia estate sx 99.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

There isnt a whole lot directly under the drivers seat, there is a bundle of hydraulic pipes run front to rear, somewhere in that vicinity. It could be a dislodged exhaust heatshield, rattling against the floorpan down the centre line.
Blackdog
My Cars:

Post by Blackdog »

Thanks for the reply I dont think it is a heat sheild as I checked that but am going over to a friends today and we will get to the root of it I think its something quite major but not obvious as I said its a mystery but hope to get to the root of it over the weekend...will give a post to let you know the result!!
I.9TD Green xantia estate sx 96.
1.9TD Green xantia estate sx 99.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

its not the baffles in the exhaust box come a drift and rattling inside the box, as this would not show by just looking under the car

regards malcolm
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Nothing under the seat to cause this I reckon its the rear seat back chattering in its latch if not it could be the rear O/S belt clip upper half banging against the door mouldings I shove this down the side of the seat to stop this.. more likely to be the metal upper seat latch my parcel shelf also makes that kind of noise sometimes.
to stop the O/s rear seat back latch from chattering add a little copper grease to the latch it'll soon stop. if you fold the lower section of the rear seat forward and oil the metal rod underneath it this might also improve your situation.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.