Xantia 1.9TD Mk2 AL4 Autobox gear lever stuck in Park

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

masood_ilyas
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9TD Mk2 AL4 Autobox gear lever stuck in Park

Post by masood_ilyas »

Could any one please help me with a stuck parking lock solenoid on my 1.9TD Mark2 Xantia of the 1999 vintage.
Usually with the ignition ON and the brake pedal pressed the 12v is applied to the Parking lock solenoid to release the Gear selector from P to other positions, with this missing it makes it immobile.
As an emergency solution I have removed the cover from the gearbox selector console and release the lever by inserting a screw driver as per the Hane's manual.

From what I can now work out is that the selector switch on the gearbox itself is fine as the position indicator on the instrument panel follows the PRND2 correctly.
The pedal switch is also OK as brake lights work fine, and ther are no blown fuses either. The solenoid itself is OK too as it works when tested with an alternative 12v supply. javascript:emoticon(':o').
This car has clocked 154000 miles so far and is on its second AL4 gearbox, all operationally fine so far, touch wood.

Does any one have a circuit diagram or knows where the 12volt feed comes for this parking lock solenoid, as the Haynes' book of fairy tales shows nothing in the electrical diagrams.

With my fingers crossed I have also raised this on aussie frog site too. Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Masood ILYAS
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Masood,

I can post a circuit diagram...

Hold on and I'll go do that in the next 30 minutes or so...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Here they are Masood...

AL4 Grarbox circuit

AL4 Greabox harnesses

AL4 Gearbox Component Locations

Item 1638 is the park lock solenoid, driven by relay 1642 via the ECU and The gearbox multi-function switch (part of 1635)

The multi-function switch can be discounted if the dashboard gear position indicator is correctly indicating it is in park as the same contact is used.

It is unlikely a supply problem to the park solenoid relay as this is powered from the sdame place as the starter inhibit relay...

Worryingly, the park inhibit relay is driven by the ECU and not directly from the multi-function switch...

I hope the circuits and harness diagrams help you trace this one...

The circuits are for the petrol engine. the diesel is very similar...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
masood_ilyas
My Cars:

Thanks Jim

Post by masood_ilyas »

Citrojim,
I am so glad to see that you are back up and running.
Just thought I will try logging on again and there you were.
Thanks for the circuit diagram links, unfortunately for some reason I am unable to see them, they are reported as server failures.
I had posted this park lock thread on an aussie site too and a chap there put links to your three drawings assuming you will not mind.
I am hoping these are the same in which case I will check them over the weekend.
When you say it is driven by the ECU do you mean the box attached to the Gearbox or one next to water coolant tank
I do hope it is not the gearbox ECU! I will keep you posted.
Many thanks for your help

Masood
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Masood,

Sorry about that :oops: The original drawings were lost in the server crash but I've now reinstated them. They should work OK now...

Let me know if you can see them OK please.
Jim

handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Jim, glad to see you got your beargox links sorted. Was it fat finger syndrome? :lol: :lol:

Handyman
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

handyman wrote:Hi Jim, glad to see you got your beargox links sorted. Was it fat finger syndrome? :lol: :lol:

Handyman
Yes, it was (sort of) :oops: I moved my website to a new host and used a recent backup of it that did not include the most recent additions...

You just can't get the staff nowadays... :roll:
Jim

masood_ilyas
My Cars:

Thanks Jim

Post by masood_ilyas »

Yes I can see the drawings now Thanks Jim.
They are the same as per the links given by "Addo" at assuiefrogs.
I will update you once I get a chance over the weekend.
Thanks

Masood
masood_ilyas
My Cars:

an update

Post by masood_ilyas »

Thanks for the drawings Citrojim.
Very fortunately I have access to another AL4 Xantia of a similar vintage to help me with fault tracing. Unfortunately however as yet I have been unable to crack the fault.
Citrojim is it possible that the drawings you have posted refers to a petrol model and not the 1.9 turbo diesel?.
In D3AP6121 component locations drawing, the Relay 1642 is in block section D which is shown as located near the windscreen washer bottle filler cap.
This does not relate to both of my 1.9TD cars which instead have Engine ECU and two other relays one of them is a single green coloured and the other is a black twin relay.
I have swapped both relays and Engine ECU from a working car, alas the reason for the fault still eludes me.
Once the rain has cleared I will have a look under the gearbox in case there is some thing obvious staring in my face.

Thanks
Masood
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry Masood. I posted the petrol version thinking you had a petrol.

I will post up the diesel ones later this evening...

Sorry about that :oops:
Jim

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

There is a grey relay in the drivers compartment relay box that controls the solenoid on my V6, but that's not necessarily the case with yours but the only clue I can offer.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Masood,

Sorry it's a bit later than promised but here are the 1.9TD specific diagrams...

1.9TD AL4 Circuit

1.9TD AL4 Harnesses

1.9TD AL4 Component Locations

Hope those finally help nail the problem :wink:
Jim