Noise at idle after cam belt change on xantia diesel??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Noise at idle after cam belt change on xantia diesel??

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi,

does anybody have any idea as to what could be causing a rattle around a newly fitted cambelt when the 1.9TD engine is at idle?

when I start the engine from cold there is no noise at all the noise gradually builds as the engine warms up.

I have checked the newly replaced serpentine belt for tension and all seems ok.

I have listened with a stick to all of the bearings accessable i.e compressor, LHM pump, alternator and camshaft and again no unusual noises there, when the ngine is warmed up and I'm sitting in the drivers seat the rattle becomes vibration which is felt through the whole car, openning the throttle stops the vibration completely, it is almost as though the exhaust is hitting the bodywork, I have looked underneath with a torch and checked the exhaust which is not loose or hitting the bodywork.

has anyone changed a cambelt on a Mk2 xantia diesel and experienced anything like this please?

(edit) all the serpentine belt pulleys were replaced about 12 months ago.
regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Top engine mount ?
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

had exactly the same noise on mine kinda a vibratey metal noise at idle but as soon as revs applyed sorted, mine was a mk1 facelift tho

ended up on mine being the tail pipe hitting the bodywork i bent the bracket holding the tail pipe and it was fine after, could also be the top engine mount laying the engine back to make the pipe hit the bodywork
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

A Commoon rattle effect is the Auto tensioner letting go and getting weak, ONLY detectable when the engine IS RUNNING!

As things warm up they get easyer to move, the Auxbelt MAY give a little, letting the tension go a bit.

Watch the Aux belt when the engine IS WARM, and see what its dooing, my guess is, that it is FLAPPING about between the Crank and Air con compressor.. EVEN if tension seems correct!

Thats my bet anyway.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Is the crankshaft pulley done up tight?
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

I also forgot to ask, being a Series 2 Xantia, it can be either XUD or HDi, which engine do you have?

If its a HDi it can also be the bottom pully on the crankshaft, the outer parting company with the inner..

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I had a rattley auxillary belt after renewing it and being unable to just reset the manual adjuster to it's old position. Tweeked the adjuster a little and noise reduced. Tweeked it a little more, and noise disappeared, so I'd go for Paul's suggestion to look at the auto-tensioner first.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

citroenxm wrote:I also forgot to ask, being a Series 2 Xantia, it can be either XUD or HDi, which engine do you have?

If its a HDi it can also be the bottom pully on the crankshaft, the outer parting company with the inner..

Paul
Paul its an XUD engine not an HDi.

cheers Nigel
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
falling-out-with-my-car

Xantidote wrote:I had a rattley auxillary belt after renewing it and being unable to just reset the manual adjuster to it's old position. Tweeked the adjuster a little and noise reduced. Tweeked it a little more, and noise disappeared, so I'd go for Paul's suggestion to look at the auto-tensioner first.
I guess you mean the serpentine belt not the cam belt?

I did wonder if this might need readjusting, I am sure I read somewhere that you need to go back and retension the serpentine/aux belt after initial replacement.
at first it was fine from brand new after having done a couple of hundred miles this rattle has appeared at idle.

thank you everyone for your input I have something to print off now as suggestions to take back to the garge where the work was done.

cheers Nigel.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:
citroenxm wrote:I also forgot to ask, being a Series 2 Xantia, it can be either XUD or HDi, which engine do you have?

Paul
Paul its an XUD engine not an HDi.

cheers Nigel
Right, I hedge my bets on a flappy Aux belt then.. you can easyilly check this your self, with the engine running, watch the belt and see if you can soo it flapping.. these ridge belts shouldn't have any flap in them and should be taught all the way round.. but not over tight either.

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have seen the auto tentioner clattering against the cam belt cover before, this give a sound like somethimg clattering against a plastic box, i found it to be if the aux drive belt is over tightend,

im not sure if this is on,after or durin warm up,

regards malcolm