Lucas pump interchangeability query

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Lucas pump interchangeability query

Post by spider »

:D

I was wondering about this earlier, I have a tiny leak on my Lucas equipped XUD7T, given its easier to get ahold of a Lucas XUD9T pump, will I get away with it if need's be ?

This is actually a Peugeot question, but I wanted to post in the Citroen forum as its more popular and this question applies equally too.

Basically, would I get away with a pump for a 1.9DT on a 1.8DT ? :)

What would happen regarding fuelling etc ?

I think I can actually fix my leak, but I wanted to keep my options open really...

For the curious, the tiny leak (a damp patch) appears to be coming out of the back of the metering head area, although its not really "leaking" as it were, its only apparent occasionally (yes the appropriate unions and head are tight)

:)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Andy,

Yes, as long as it's a "turbo" DPC with the boost sense diaphragm.

Fuelling is not too hard to adjust on a Lucas and odds are it won't be far out anyway... Just adjust the transfer pressure regulator a tad or so...

The leak may be the O ring on the head or even the O ring under the lift pump plate on the end of the distributor head.

Neither are hard to replace one you know the trick of getting inside a Lucas.... I'd be going for the repair option myself...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

Thanks Jim :)

Oh, I do agree regarding repairs, but I have an idea of replacing the car with something else in say May / June as I've had her about 6 years now. I was merely thinking if I could get a replacement cheaply and simply pop it on and hope it does not leak.

Not bad as the whole car was £100 :)

After looking again (bear in mind I cannot properly see it due to the lack of space!) , I can feel a drain plug (or something in the middle underneath it) , and that feels damp.

I'm not quite sure if that's some kind of drainplug for overhaul or perhaps just a casting mark (as I cannot see it I felt it) , last time it leaked the outlet stubs, one was slightly loose (not the pipes the part on the pump) , nipping that up fixed it for about a year.

I wonder if its that again and its merely spread across to that thing underneath. More investigation needed. :)

I should add I removed (about 3 years ago) the timing advance module off the front as it stuck, this was actually very easy and I did away with the microswitch on the control levers by replacing them with NA ones along with the correct blank for the where the advance would be blanked off on a NA model. No problem with that (and it means I can actually reach the oil filter)

Off topic note: The wax-stat fitted to Renaults will fit perfectly on the early XUD's with a tiny mod to the adjustment thread in the pump bracket, its a lot better too in that it expands quicker (compared to a new PSA one)

:)
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote: After looking again (bear in mind I cannot properly see it due to the lack of space!) , I can feel a drain plug (or something in the middle underneath it) , and that feels damp.
That's one of the bolts that secure and locate the distributor head Andy. Not a drain plug as such but in communication with the head.

Off-times, when the lid seal fails, diesel accumulates underneath and drips from there. The leak could be from the lid and throttle shaft seals. That's even easier to fix on a Lucas...

That's a good tip on the Renault waxstat :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote: That's one of the bolts that secure and locate the distributor head Andy. Not a drain plug as such but in communication with the head.
Thanks :) , I just felt it I could not see it so had to guess as to what it was :D , I'll have to find time to get outside and have a closer look to see what's what (as soon as I shake off my cold) and hopefully it warms up a bit, although I think we are due for a bit more snow tomorrow.
CitroJim wrote:That's a good tip on the Renault waxstat :D
No problem, its quite self-explanatory how it fits (threads the same obviously), just need to enlarge the hole in the inside of the cable guide thread a fraction. The one I used I am not sure what model, it was just listed as a 2.2 diesel one.
Andy.

spider

Post by spider »

Although I since cured the leak (it was not underneath, one of the outlet unions was slightly loose) , typically the furthest away.

Anyway back on topic, I may have to have another pump, the original enquiry was simply as its easy to get a pump from a 1.9, finding a 1.8TD donor is not as easy.

I'm a bit concerned as I had to remove the inlet banjo bolt (undo it a bit to swing it out the way) to get the hp pipes off (the outlet port was the lower nearest to block one typically so the front pipes had to come off for easy access) and when I nipped it up I felt it give (pump threads), which is something I have not experienced before with a banjo (no I did not go mad with it) although its not leaking and its tight enough, I have some horrible feeling it may have a crack in it (although as long as it does not fall off I suppose!)

Back on topic, if I do decide to replace the pump, I'm assuming (as its Lucas to Lucas) I can not have to also swap injectors over ? I'd rather not (I'll take the pipes when I get the pump anyway), although I actually expect them to be the same regarding length and diameter.
Andy.