motorised heater flap

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dantheman

motorised heater flap

Post by dantheman »

hi guys, this is my first post here as i have always found answers by looking in the forum, which i thank you all, but my problem is,,i have a 2001, xantia 2.0 sx, with air con etc , my blower motor packed up on new years eve, so i went the scrappie, and got one from a puegeot 406, same blower as mine , just have to use all the connections off my old blower, because the xantia has an extra wire. anyway, refitted it all,, blower sounds like its blowing a hurricane, but no air coming out of anywhere. read forum, pollen filter may be blocked, couldnt find out how to get to pollen filter so i dropped blower, and ripped out pollen filter from inside, checked blower is blowing right way, and reffitted, still nothing coming out of vents, checked forum, and found out about a motorised heater flap, saw the photo's, located it on my car,,,,, question is,, can this be opened manually, and kept open?? what is its purpose?? could this be my problem?? how do i solve it?? and if it isnt this, then what could it be??? thanks guys, dan the man
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Dan and welcome :D

Your problem is much more fundamental. Thanks to Citronut we now know that a Pug 406 blower, although looking very similar, does, in fact, spin the opposite way! So all you're doing is pushing air out of the car...

You need a Xantia-specific blower. What was up with your old one?

The heater flap won't be it. All that does is control the volume of air blowing across the matrix. It does not restrict the total volvem at all, just diverts a proportion through the matrix.

Check your recirc flap though. You can see it when the blower is out. If it sticks half-way between fresh and recirculated, that can cause a reduction. Often this flap sticks because the bowden cable end at the control panel has become kinked so even though the slider moves, the flap stays put.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The heater flap doesn't stop air coming out of the vents.
IF memory serves, the 406 blower runs in the opposite direction to the Xantia one.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
dantheman

406 blower

Post by dantheman »

thanks for that guys,,,,,now, if my blower is running the wrong way, if i change over the red and black wires going into the motor, then the motor should run in the opposite direction?? yes/no?, and should solve my problem, but, the black wire has an extention on it, it plugs into a thin light blue wire, what is this?? will this now have to be connected to the red wire??, please help, i drive 20 miles to work every day and its bloody freezing with the window open , and i cant see sod all through my windscreen coming home at night , thanks again
dantheman

p.s. citrojim

Post by dantheman »

the old blower, i took it out and looked at it and the armeture was worn/burnt right down were the brushes made contact with it
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi Dan

I think you will find that it is not just the motor direction that is different.
The fan blades are also angled to suit the rotation direction so after you have rewired your motor to run the other way you will get only part of the airflow you expect.

John
Xmexclusive
dantheman

blower fan,, xantia

Post by dantheman »

i just want to thank you all for your help, the 406 blower did run in the opposite direction, so i changed the wiring round, and still nothing, the fan blades did run in the opposite direction to that of the xantia, so i cleaned up the armeture on the old xantia blower, and put the carbom brushes in it off the 406 , put it all back together, and whooosh, it pins me to my seat now, brilliant, it has never been this good ever since i have had the car, so thanks guys, if it had'nt have been for this forum it would have cost me a fortune, dan the man
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Fantastic news Dan :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi Dan

Pleased you got a result.

John
Xmexclusive
bxman
My Cars:

subject

Post by bxman »

Great to hear Dan's problems are solved .
Jim is there a chance of a climate control circuit for the Mk1 A/c .
I would be interested to find if it is possible to drive the motorized flap by direct switching of the motor.
I have installed one of the non A/C fans with the 4 position switch and the resistor packs.
But since lost the heat in the process. even though retaining the conditioning temp switch.
Not sure if it's related but there is what I think to be a severed thermistor weaving past the passenger door trim into the engine bay. approx 6' of cable what would that have done?
Not the time of year to have no heat on the screen.!!!
all recommendations most welcome .

thanks Patrick.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Simplest would be to attach a cable from a wreck to the temperature slider, and take it to the heater flap, which has a lever for cable operation, as in non-aircon cars.

Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
bxman
My Cars:

subject

Post by bxman »

Thanks Clogzz
I have got the clove box out and can see the motorized valve motor [a bit tight on exhaust tunnel ].
Where is the manual lever in relation to that, as you say contortions under there are a JOY, but I sure I can jam a cloths pep in there if I can find the right spot as an interim fix.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Patrick,

Here is the relevant diagram.

There is a very early A/C arrangement for 1993 vintage Xantias that is a little different but the one above should be applicable to your car.

The flap motor is item 8065... Looks like a stepper motor.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bxman
My Cars:

subject

Post by bxman »

Thanks Jim much appreciated I still may need help everything is so tight in there and I do not want to be removing the dash if at all possible
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The dash won’t need removing, maybe the centre console and slider control panel.
First picture is the motor at bottom front left of the centre console.
The motor drives a reduction gearbox with a cog, usually metal on the Xantia, that slots into the black plastic centre of the flap shaft posted higher up.
The control cable goes into the small hole just to the left of the C of ‘Chaud’.

Enjoy the contortions. :lol:
And thanks again to Jim for posting the map to our down-up benefit. :lol:

Old contortions topic:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21859

Picture and story from Peugeot Logic:
http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/ws ... atcont.htm

Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389