106 turns off every time i turn right

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FReSH PRiNCe

106 turns off every time i turn right

Post by FReSH PRiNCe »

hi there

i have a 1996 peugeot 106. everytime i turn right the car cuts off. after a little while it starts driving if not the car turns off i then have to turn it on and drive again. can anyone tell me what the problem is.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Petrol / Diesel ?

My first thought is an intermittent connection on the inertia switch (typically its behind the battery), check that (just has two wires to it and sometimes a red or black rubber top), not all have this fitted.

I thought about a short somewhere but that would likely cause other problems that would not go away after a few minutes

When it cuts out do the usual ignition lights remain on or do you lose any of them etc ? (if its lost the oil light / warning lights etc it might be the ignition switch)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

In case of petrol - the TU engine type, then try :

Have the car parked at home, engine running idle.
Open the bonnet.
Now - gently :!: - wriggle each cable harness you can see, on and immediately near the engine.
You MUST be gentle, as havy pulling on the harness, wont give you any usable indication.

There is a good chance you can replicate any slight movement or vibration in the cable harness during drive this way, and then the fault shows by a sudden engine cut out.

Further visual inspection will most often show a defect in the cable harness involved.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Chris56000
My Cars:

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

This sounds like ICO2 plug nonsense!!! '106s have an engine-to-loom round multiplug connector of very unusual design called an ICO2 with flat male contacts in both halves that fit side-by-side that rely on the pressure exerted by the plastic housings to mate them! Unfortunately heat and wear in the plastic housings of the plugs results in the contacts making imperfect or intermittent contact causing all sorts of intermittent and seemingly unrelated electrical nightmares!!!

Unfortunately associated with this is that this series and age of cars used very cheap cable that has a tendency to corrode internally and turn black as well and a rewire is out of the question as Peugshot only identify their circuits with indicipherable numbers that may be a long way away from the connectors they join to!!!

Try unplugging the two halves of the connector (left hand side of engine bay under top panel) and see if there's any green corrosion, if there is you may be able to use a flat nail-file to scrape it off the contact blades (there's about 20 or so) then use a small squirt of Electrical Contact Cleaner (***NOT WD40!!!***) from Maplins on each connector pin before you remate the two halves of the plug again!

Don't try and sort out the fault with a Haynes Book Of Fairy Tales, you'll need a pukka '106 Genuine Wiring Diagrams Manual to do it - Member CitJim might be able to help or someone with access to Service Box Docs - I'm still downloading my copies! I'll add to this post if I can get my Service Box working! There's also a CM article on the subject!!!

Chris Williams

PS!!! I *believe* Pugshot did sell an ICO2 plug repair kit at one time - the only difficulty being is that all the wiring supplied with it is black with no ID numbers on it!!!
Last edited by Chris56000 on 08 Jun 2010, 18:39, edited 2 times in total.
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

I've had this before and it was due to the MAP sensor wiring being duff.

Really though need to know what engine it is. does it cut out completely and come back in or does it just go dead and not restart.

is it a harsh cutting out or is it similar to fuel starvation where the engine gently cuts out...

answer to the above would be excellent :)