1.9td xantia running on old cooking oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

miggy24
My Cars:

1.9td xantia running on old cooking oil

Post by miggy24 »

Hi all can anyone tell me what i have to do to get my car to run on old oil.Thanks
boristhespie
My Cars:

Re: 1.9td xantia running on old cooking oil

Post by boristhespie »

miggy24 wrote:Hi all can anyone tell me what i have to do to get my car to run on old oil.Thanks
Pick out the old bits of chips and fried mars bars.
C'est pas possible!
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Settle it, filter it, pour it in the tank. If you want more specific information my advice would be to join a dedicated forum to running on veg oil be it SVO or WVO, it has to be done properly and with caution. Me, i tried it, it was messy and dirty so i stuck to SVO and still saved money compared to diesel.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
miggy24
My Cars:

Post by miggy24 »

is that all i have to do.Clean the crap out of the oil then just pour it into the car
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Take a look at the last part of this post and save yourself some hassle.

If there isn't a Chinese supermarket near you there will be an alternative.

Brake Brothers supply a lot of restaurants around here with cooking oil and you may be able to buy from them or a similar business.
miggy24
My Cars:

Post by miggy24 »

well i wanted to use old oil from the chip shop from the end of my road as he has got about 200 ltrs there and said i can have it if i want
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

Have a good read of this site
www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk , go on the discution board and you will find all the info you will ever need
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Provided your citroen xantia is bosch equipped, then you have the ideal car to do it on.
It would be inadvisable to run it at too high a percentage of wvo in this weather (although mine is currently fairly high 70% + ish).
Get a 5 micron sock filter from ebay, idealy you want to filter in a shed or something as the speed at which it goes through is temperature dependent.
Just remember it is messy and it is time consuming, but i find it very worthwhile.
As Gareth has said SVO is much simpler, i saw some in 3l bottles the other day that worked out at about 84p a litre, not bad...
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
miggy24
My Cars:

Post by miggy24 »

So if i use svo all i have to do is pour into the car and jobs done and with wvo i need to filter it and get all the crap out then pour into the car
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

miggy24 wrote:So if i use svo all i have to do is pour into the car and jobs done and with wvo i need to filter it and get all the crap out then pour into the car
Basically, yes. With WVO, you also need to settle it and dewater it ideally...

A lot of hassle in my eyes...

Did you find the vegoildiesel forum helpful? A good forum that. I sometimes look at it for pure entertainment. It makes me giggle when I read of some of the stuff on there...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

So if i use svo all i have to do is pour into the car and jobs done and with wvo i need to filter it and get all the crap out then pour into the car
If i were you id introduce it slowly, and find a comfortble percentage for your car i still would not advise running high percentage oil without some kind of fuel line heater. untill the summer.
If running on WVO you will probably need to replace your fuel filter much more regularly, i had to do mine about once every 6 weeks.
GPZ500s
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

And Jim beat me to it... :shock:
GPZ500s
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

CitroJim wrote:
miggy24 wrote:
Did you find the vegoildiesel forum helpful? A good forum that. I sometimes look at it for pure entertainment. It makes me giggle when I read of some of the stuff on there...

What do you find "entertaining" about it Jim, is it the good humour or just some of the less informed posts.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The good humour and general "atmosphere" over there Mark. Not unlike here really..

Very, very few posts I'd ever describe as less informed. Those lads really know their subject inside out and backwards.

I also have a lot of respect for those who make bio. It looks incredibly dangerous to me so the fact they do and survive the experience is proof enough for me that they really do know their stuff...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

The forums are very good. the original Info Pop one and Journey to Forever were the originals. I enjoyed my 4yrs making it. However I don`t miss it at all..........the money you save just goes on something else. Plus........I have had my garage back for two years now and no oil or 45 gal drums of methanol in sight.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2