Correcting the Activa lean

Post by Xaccers »

Ah correcting the Activa lean :)

You will need:
1 tape measure with 73mm marked
1 torch
1 short magnetic spirit level
2 13mm spanners
Ramps/pit - basically anything that lets you get under the front of the car with it's front wheels on something solid that's high enough as not to squish you should the car drop all the way down to low and make a mess
1 Activa sized area of level ground
1 leaning Activa

With the front wheels up on the ramps on level ground, engine running and height selector on normal, get under the front of the car to the roll corrector behind the engine.
Attach the spirit level to the flat subframe.
Out of each side of the roll corrector is a 13mm hexagonal union attaching the RC to the wishbone linkages.
Ensure the linkages are not pressing against the body of the car, if they are, slacken the 13mm bolt that holds them to the wishbones, adjust to free them, then re-tighten.
Using the torch and tape measure, check the distance between the far ends of the threads either side of the unions are 73mm apart.
Release the 13mm lock nuts, move them well away from the unions to allow free movement of it, and adjust accordingly so the threads are 73mm apart.
Let the car settle.
Check the spirit level.
If the car is leaning, rotate both unions by 3 flat sides, doesn't matter which direction as long as they are both turned the same direction.
See if the car leans more or less.
If it doesn't move at all, turn it another 3 flats.
Basically I can't remember which way leans the car left and which way is right, so you'll have to adjust the unions to get the car to move to find out.
Once you've found which direction corrects the lean, adjust both unions one flat at a time until the car is level.
Get out from underneath the furnace that is the engine, take several steps back from the car and visually check how level it is.
Adjust as required then lock the unions in place.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citroenroen
My Cars: citroen CX, renault 16, 1997 (Jan 1997) Xantia Activa V6

Re: Correcting the Activa lean

Post by citroenroen »

Xaccers,
I need help with this . My 97 Xantia Acitva is lopsided.

What DOES the ROLL CORRECTOR behind the engine look like ? ( this is different from the height corrector, yes?)
could you post a picture?

The Xantia Active has 4 height correctors

I don't understand the 73mm measurement : "distance between far ends of the threads either side of the union"
Can you post a picture or a diagram?

Is this adjustment done to both front and back?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Xaccers hasn't logged in since 2019 so may not respond.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

citroenroen wrote: 29 Sep 2023, 01:28 Xaccers,

What DOES the ROLL CORRECTOR behind the engine look like ? ( this is different from the height corrector, yes?)

I don't understand the 73mm measurement : "distance between far ends of the threads either side of the union"

The box. You opened it. We came.
Follow the link arms from your wishbones to the centre under the car, you'll see they go to the roll corrector, which is basically a height corrector on it's side. They connect via a hexagonal cylinder, like a very long nut. I've slept since I did the job so forgive me for not remembering all the details.
The plastic bushes the link arms go through on the wishbones wear out, and they also wear away at the link arms, which gives them play and can cause the Activa shuffle when parked.
The Xantia Activa has 2 height correctors like any other Xantia, they then added another on it's side and connected it to the front wishbones to adjust for lean.
When you get under the car (safely) and look at the roll corrector, you'll see what I mean about the threaded ends. The wishbone link arms need to apply the same push/pull pressure on the corrector so the distance between the left and right ends of the threads needs to remain the same.
If the car is leaning one way, it means that 73mm distance is too far one side, so you need to rotate the threaded unions the other way by the same amount each side to maintain the 73mm.
Think of the control links as a long threaded rod, with the corrector lever sat in the middle, held between two nuts. The threaded rod can only move left and right so much. If the nuts are the wrong distance apart, then there's slack in the system and the lever doesn't operate when it should. Likewise if the nuts are too far to the left, then the lever is always being pulled left even when the threaded bar isn't moved. So you need to move both nuts the same amount to the right until the lever is central. Hope that's more clear than mud!
So this needs to be done with the front wheels on level ground, so on ramps or preferably over a pit. Get one of those spirit levels with a magnet along one side and stick it to the subframe as guide.
The roll corrector can seize up, so either needs to be replaced or cleaned up. Or in the case of my old Activa, one of the heat shields was bent and preventing it moving in one direction.
Now I'm going to slip back into the shadows. Good luck.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

citroenroen wrote: 29 Sep 2023, 01:28 Xaccers,

Take a tip from me......DO NOT mess about with it until you have the books I have sorted for you....

2nd tip.....join this group..... https://www.activa-club.fr/
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting