306 rear seat belt

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

306 rear seat belt

Post by citronut »

if your 306 hatch back fails its MOT on rear seat belts not returning, it might not just be a replacement required,

as i discoverd two days ago on my freinds daughters R reg 306,

got it back to my workshop after it failed, striped out the N/S rear piller trim to find the seat belt real dangling in mid air, first thought on seeing the real flotting about was maybe the fixing bolt had come out,

yes the bolt had come away but with a good half of the inner wing/rear quarter,

its just disolved, i have never seen a 306 disolve like this, usualy find they dont rust very much, or at least most of the ones i have worked on,

i do have some picys but i always have probs attatching them on here, they were tacken at 5mp's,

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dear gawd Malcolm!!!

That is amazing. I wonder if it hadf been in a shunt?

email me the pictures and I'll resize them and host them for you. Sounds like a must-see...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Yes I'd like to see the pics too, that does sound really strange, they don't tend to rot (if its all original) much at all really as you know...

I wonder if its a replacement panel (possibly fitted early in its life) , that would be my initial thought anyway...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ok Sir Jim
email sent, thank you very much ass grassy ass

kind regards
malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Slightly worrying that it didn't fail on structural rot :shock: just goes to show the MOT is not infallible!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Here's the pictures. Posted on behalf of Malcolm...

This is shocking.

:shock: :-k
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

RichardW wrote
"Slightly worrying that it didn't fail on structural rot Shocked just goes to show the MOT is not infallible!"

trouble is it could not be seen with all the interior trim in place,
and whilst up on the MOT ramp the wheel was blocking the view to the top half of the inner wing,

it was only that the seat belt was pulled all the way out and would not retrackt that it failed the MOT,

besides they can only fail rot/rust within 30cm's of prescribed areas,

the MOT station i use are very thourgh but genuine, i have been useing them for about 30 years, and they are very consistant,

regards malcolm
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Wow thats some scarily large rust patch :shock: I would not have though the car old enough to have rusted that much.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the car is an R reg and all the seams and joint look original, and dose not look like there has been any kind of crash repair dont at all

Here's a couple more pictures:

(Nice welding Malcolm :D - CitroJim)

regards malcolm
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Bloody hell thats a big hole! Absolutely frightening! :shock:
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

I sh*t you not I've had a similar problem. Smaller hole but a hole all the same.

The problem is that they didnt fit full length wheel arch liners and the seat belt bolt (I think) pokes out into the wheel arch, so any water, and salty water, causes it to rot. Worryingly my activa doesnt have full length liners either but I've checked for rot and there's not a sausage.

I've noticed quite a few 306's have an earth issue where the nearside rear tail-lights dim when the left indicator is turned on, guess where there's an earth, just up from that big rust hole! I have wondered if that was the cause.

The offside is generally alright as the fuel filler neck protects the top of the wheelarch from stone chips and the like.

Just think of how many 306's you've seen with families and kids in the back..!

Edit - There has been a few of these on pug306.net too. It's certainly NOT a one off unfortunatly. Mine is S reg '99 phase 2, the ones that seem to go are around the 97-99 era but I've not had a look at any phase 3's (99-01) so they could be the same too!
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

For anyone interested I went to a scrapyard today to get some things, and while I was there I pulled off the trim on a phase 1 5 door 306, more rot, no where near as bad as the one in this topic but a screwdriver made short work of the metal around the seatbelt!

Excuse the poor photo quality:

Here you can see the holes around the seatbelt mount, didn't take much effort to make the hole that big

And here's the view looking up at the wheel arch! As you can see, no wheel arch liner = bad (in a 306)!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's a good find Dom, an proves it's not an uncommon incident. Was the car scrapped for that reason or something else?

Worth checking any 306 now I reckon...
Jim

Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

I doubt it jim. It's just a crappy low spec small petrol engined phase 1 306. I had to remove the trim myself to see the rust just out of interest, while I was there swiping a wiper motor and linkages. You wouldn't have seen the rust either unless I poked it through.

Dom.