Xantia Metal Clutch Clip?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Xantia Metal Clutch Clip?

Post by rory_perrett »

Sorry to raise this old chestnut again.
1995 Xantia 1.9TD, clutch pedal hit the floor on Sunday night with accompanying sound of breaking plastic. Tonight I have managed to remove the clutch pedal to reveal a plastic fitting which is attached to the pedal and has tube pointing down into which the end of the clutch cable should have been inserted and a METAL “U” shaped component that has two prongs that go either side into two slots in the plastic fitting and (should) retain the end of the clutch cable. Part of one of the “prongs” of the U clip had failed as had the plastic fitting in the area of the slot.
When people are talking about the clutch cable clip breaking are they talking about the “U” clip or the fitting attached to the clutch pedal? If so, does this mean that I have got one of the mythical metal clips?
Regards
Rory
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

First off if the plastic is black its an original clip as came with the car at new, if its white then its a glass filled nylon replacement clip which are much stronger than the originals, but still break if the clutch is to heavy.
And no this is not the mythical metal beast, all the so called plastic clips have the steel forked bit, this is the bit that does all the work, so its not difficult to see why they bust so easey.
Shame that a car manufacturer does this to the people that buy their products.
Dave
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Dave
Thanks for the info - must be the original as it was black. Now replaced with white item from GSF Lincoln. The clutch doesn't feel that stiff to me but at 108K miles and a fair bit of round town driving I suspect it is a sign that a new clutch is due.
Rory