C5 2.0 HDi VTR 2003 Estate with 235K mileage

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

C5 2.0 HDi VTR 2003 Estate with 235K mileage

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Hi there, jiust passed it's annual with just replacement discs and pads needed. I have a recently occurring problem relates to radio reception: radio signal appears to be is fading with only strong local stations being picked up and then they drift. Checked continuity between antenna "socket" and input to radio and its seems open-circuit on my multi-meter. However, if there is an amplifier in circuit, I would expect this. Question is: Is there an amplifier on this model and if so, please can someone advise where it is located? the antenna co-ax lead seems to disappear down towards the drivers side when I pull out the radio from the dash.

Thanks

Ed
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Fantastic mileage, good to hear its still going well. Though ive heard of a fair few C5s reaching 300K withouth too many problems.

The radios do seem a bit of a weak point on C5s. I have a radio from the C5 SX which the radio doesnt work at all, however it plays cds fine.

You might need a replacement radio. As for the amplifier im not sure where that would be located, sorry.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I have no specific knowledge of the C5, but there is probably an amplifier module integrated into the antenna base. On the Xantia (at least high spec versions) it is in a little round can about 40mm diameter and 20mm tall which houses the nut that holds the antenna base to the roof. DC power is probably fed through the antenna cable.

They do fail, probably due to electrostatic discharges to the antenna.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

xantia_v6 wrote:I have no specific knowledge of the C5, but there is probably an amplifier module integrated into the antenna base.
Thats correct, there is an amplifier in the base on a C5.
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Any tips on removing interior roofing panel on C5 estate rear to allow access to aerial amplifier please?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Ed Armstrong wrote:Any tips on removing interior roofing panel on C5 estate rear to allow access to aerial amplifier please?
Remove the seal around the tailgate at the roof lining, unclip the C pillar interior trims, The roof lining is bonded to the roof in some places with a windscreen type sealant or double sided sticky pads so you need to pull it down at the back & cut them away with a knife. once you cut the bead of sealant off at the back there should be enought room to get your hand in to undo the base. there are a couple of connectors & if i remember right the base is held on by a 22mm nut. Make sure you wear gloves & long sleeves as the material The roof lining is made of is like fibreglass insulation, very itchy & irritating.