Xantia maintenance and problems in the snow

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

howiedean
My Cars:

Xantia maintenance and problems in the snow

Post by howiedean »

I've managed to change the front pads and disks today however I noticed that the flexible hose is leaking. Lincoln GSF won't be able to get one untill monday afternoon. :(

I've changed the Anti Sink Sphere also but on removal of the old one, I noticed that there was no 4.5mm hydraulic seal either on the pipe or inside the old Sphere. There was no LHM leaking though, should there have been?

I had a few funny looks from the neighbours although no-one does any car maintenance near me. :roll:

Regards
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

There should be a seal on the joint, normally the seal is left inside the sphere which is not easy to see. If you still have the sphere removed poke a thin screwdriver inside the sphere hole and you'll more than likely find it sitting there.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Perhaps the funny looks were with you lying in 2 foot of snow??
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Wrap up warm and it's not too bad working in the cold, especially if the sun is shining...

Fact is, if there is work to be done, it has to be whatever the weather...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Xantia maintenance and problems in the snow

Post by spider »

howiedean wrote:I had a few funny looks from the neighbours although no-one does any car maintenance near me. :roll:
I tend to get that a lot as no one here appears to open their bonnet or do anything, I notice I've got the oldest car (1991) by quite a few years, and perhaps more interestingly I don't have the breakdown homestart people out, mines always ready to go. :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

My neighbors don't even notice! They're all very used to my automotive activities :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

I'm with jim on this one, i came home from work yesterday evening, and the sun was just going down, i wrapped up warm and got working on that strut top replacement... and the simple things is.... once you start moving about, your body will keep you warm, and the job will keep your mind off the cold

I'm also the only one who messes with car in my street too, and the only one with the oldest car.
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

Spider wrote:I tend to get that a lot as no one here appears to open their bonnet or do anything, I notice I've got the oldest car (1991) by quite a few years, and perhaps more interestingly I don't have the breakdown homestart people out, mines always ready to go. :)
Spider same here I don't keep up with the joneses.

CitroJim wrote:My neighbors don't even notice! They're all very used to my automotive activities :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim, I think the neighbors think I'm mad.
Howie

howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

DickieG wrote:There should be a seal on the joint, normally the seal is left inside the sphere which is not easy to see. If you still have the sphere removed poke a thin screwdriver inside the sphere hole and you'll more than likely find it sitting there.
DickieG, definitely no seal fitted on the original. Should it have leaked?
Howie

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

CitroJim wrote:Wrap up warm and it's not too bad working in the cold, especially if the sun is shining...

Fact is, if there is work to be done, it has to be whatever the weather...
I've not even started mine since Tuesday - but then I don't have to go to work :D :D

Peter
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Mine's not been off the drive, but I do start it every other day to keep it loose! Maybe I'm paranoid, but I kind of want to be sure it'll start when I do want to use it.

Managed to venture out in the Kangoo today, once you hit the main roads it's pretty well ok, but living on top of a hill as I do it can be slow progress getting back home. Luckily I stocked up on grit salt for the pre xmas snow so still have a good bit in reserve, but don't tell anyone cos I don't want the government sharing it out. :wink:
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have two in service at present, chances if one won't start the other will :D Having said that, the estate only gets used once a week at this time of the year, to take the dustbins down to the farm - but it always starts :D

Peter
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I spent 7 hours last week in the rain and -6 temperatures fitting a new thermostat to a Cavalier it shouldn't have taken that long only I sheared one of the three bolts so the old one had to be drilled out and the hole tapped for a new bolt drills kept going blunt what a miserable day hands went blue in the end but what an amazing sense of acheivement in the end. father and son helped out a lot to.

I have learned the importance of doing up a bolt before undoing it now.

DickieG love the avatar it's brilliant.(no not that one)
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 18 Jan 2010, 23:18, edited 3 times in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

howiedean wrote:
DickieG wrote:There should be a seal on the joint, normally the seal is left inside the sphere which is not easy to see. If you still have the sphere removed poke a thin screwdriver inside the sphere hole and you'll more than likely find it sitting there.
Maybe the sphere had been replaced previously and the original sphere took the seal with it when it was thrown away. I would have thought the joint would leak without a seal but I've never tried it so I can't say for sure.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

DickieG wrote:
howiedean wrote:
Maybe the sphere had been replaced previously and the original sphere took the seal with it when it was thrown away. I would have thought the joint would leak without a seal but I've never tried it so I can't say for sure.
Cheers,

All sorted now pipe replaced, brakes bled. :wink:

The MOT is due in Feb..... :twisted: fingers crossed
Howie