Xantia Blower

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Spireman

Xantia Blower

Post by Spireman »

Hi

I'm new to all this, and the info I want is probably common knowledge, but where can I get new brushes for my heater blower please?

1999 Xantia Mk2 2.0 HDI with aircon.

Thanks John
2.0 HDI Xantia estate 225k
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi John and welcome

yes your right its is common knoledge

but its not usualy the motor brush's,

its usualy the speeed control unit transistor/shave failed,

to check the motor its self unscrew and drop it down from up behind the glove box,

pull the plug out which goes into the side of the motor through a large square gromet, now conect a wire to each of the two terminals were the plug came from, and conect it across a car battery (but mind the impeler finns dont catch on anything),

if it works its almost certain the fault is you speed control unit, which is the alloy unit with cooling finns screwed to the fan base

Jim put a link on here for Farnels and if you click on it goes straight to the transistors you require

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The transistors are only at fault if the motor is running uncontrollably at top speed as soon as the ignition is switched on.

Normally, the blower does not start until the engine has been running for a few moments and on days like these it won't fire up to high speed in auto mode until the engine coolant temperature reaches 60 degrees. This is to prevent you being blasted by cold air....

If the motor is not running at all, the fault will be elsewhere...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have, after a period of intermittancy, had the transistors go completely open circuit. Probably not common though.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:I have, after a period of intermittancy, had the transistors go completely open circuit. Probably not common though.

Peter
Gosh! That's an unusual failure for any power transistor :o So often they fail short-circuit but thinking on, I have seen them fail open in other electronic things...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Blower

Post by VertVega »

Hi and Welcome!

I've replaced brushes (I also have a BIG number on the clock :) ).
Your mileage might give a clue that brushes are probably at their minimum.
The brush sizes were 8x9 mm (if I remember correct) and you need 2 of them.
Spireman wrote:... where can I get new brushes for my heater blower please?...
Here's a link from ebay --> Heater motor brushes

:idea: Cut old brush copper wires from half and solder the new ones to them.

Edit: I've just read from that link the sizes of the brush: "...These measure 9mm x 8mm x 22mm..."
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Spireman

Post by Spireman »

Thanks to you all for your help.
I don't think it is an electronic fault, because when it works it works right, and when it doesn't it usually responds to a tap from my size 12s.

Can I be a pain and bring up what could be a related fault--- over the last year I have had an increasing leak of water into the passenger footwell-- the windscreen has been resealed-- to no effect, the body drain from the plenum chamber is clear----- Am I missing something?
I really appreciate your help
2.0 HDI Xantia estate 225k
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It's worth checking the connectors to both the motor and to the regulator module (the 4-way one) as these carry a heavy current and are a bit marginal. They can develop a high resistance joint , heat a little and loose their temper, resulting in an intermittent contact.

The leak is a well-known problem after a windscreen change. It is critically important that the black scuttle panel at the bottom of the windscreen is effectively bonded and sealed to the screen glass, especially over on the passenger side above the air intake. Sadly, few windscreen fitters realise this. Failure to do so results in water pouring straight into the air intake and running down and under the passenger footwell carpet. You will find gallons soaked into the foam under the carpet and the only way to dry it out is to have the carpet out.

The plenum drain being broken usually causes water to run onto and under the carpet when the aircon is running.
Jim

spliffy
My Cars:

hi

Post by spliffy »

i had blower problem it was the ignition switch the second time it was the plug that went onto the motor if it is the motor get one from a scrap yard about £20 if the fault is else where you have a spare
Spliffy
have owned : renault 21,mk1 megane 1.6 8v
currently own renault megane grand scenic ( 1.9 dci privelige )
currently own renault megane coupe 1.6 16v
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

my fan was intermitent for a good couple of years before it packed up completly, i knoe it had one conection of the 4 pin plug cooked/fried, as the plastic plug body had meltted around the first thick wire in that plug,

i choped the meltted plastic away and the fried wire, crimped a new yellow lucar terminal on with my ratchet crimpers, this still did not fix it,

so i borrowed the fan complete with resistor pack from the 406 in my yard, of which the motor spins the opposite direction to the XANT, so i swoped motors over but useing the pug resistor pack, this fixed my fan,

we did remove the resistors from my original resistor pack and found one to be way out of tolerance,

i have since bought reistors from Farnels via Jim's link, fitted them and then stuck that unit back into the pug 406 now that functions as it should,

regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

citronut wrote:

so i borrowed the fan complete with resistor pack from the 406 in my yard, of which the motor spins the opposite direction to the XANT, so i swoped motors over but useing the pug resistor pack, this fixed my fan,

regards malcolm
Good for keeping it cool in the summer :D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:
citronut wrote:

regards malcolm
Good for keeping it cool in the summer :D
Use it in the winter and contribute to global warming :roll: :lol:
Jim