1998 citroen xsara 1.9 turbo diesel 98,000 miles

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

csrdad1950

1998 citroen xsara 1.9 turbo diesel 98,000 miles

Post by csrdad1950 »

Recently i serviced my xsara new filters etc,going to change the heater plugs,but its being a pain in the ass.Get the usual splutter when started from cold,wee puff of smoke,then it clears,and idles happily for few minutes.After this the car starts to pink,as if its missing and with each pink comes a puff of blue smoke that doesnt go away unless driven.I drove the car ten miles yesterday brought the car back,let her idle for 40 minutes with no problems,,,but when i started this morning again,the car cleared itself of smoke and within 5 minutes again it began spluttering as if its missing and puffing blue smoke.Can you help me find a solution to this problem,as its doin my head right in

done fuel,oil filters,oil change,injector cleaner,injector test,turbo seal test,all show fine

Many thanks
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Assuming XUD as you say 1.9.

That to me at least sounds like air ingress, my 205 did that and it was a right royal pain as in my case I had two small "leaks" (although leak is not the right word as it was sucking air in)

One quick thing to try, may or may not help:

Before switching on the ignition, operate the primer bulb a few times. Go and switch the ignition on and come back and do it say twice more.

Obviously by this time, the glowplugs will have cooled down, so switch off wait a few seconds then switch on again (as normal) and attempt to start after the light has gone out.

If there's an improvement its quite possible you have an air leak.

Favourite place (assuming the pipe from the filter to the pump is good and the clips are good) is probably the seals on the filter housing I'd guess, although not having this arrangement of filter I'm not 100% , I'm sure someone else will be able to provide more detail etc. If it was me, I'd be having a small piece of clear tubing as the last part of pipe to the pump so I could see.

:)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its 'knocking' when warm it sounds liking a leaking injector or low compression on one cylinder. Could possibly be a failed glow plug but wouldn't expect it to idle OK at first if that was the problem.
csrdad1950

appreciation

Post by csrdad1950 »

Thanks for your replies,tried all above,still no joy,its a mystery,had two friends who are diesel fitters,look at the car,they cant figure it out,could be a number of things,but no joy!!! Car not worth breaking the bank over
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Is it using any oil at all? The fact that when it starts the blue smoke, it needs driving to clear it says to me that oil is getting into the inlet tract somehow and it needs to be run to clear it. Blue smoke can be unburnt diesel (although that tends to be black or grey) but my best guess based on the described symptoms is that its burning oil and the pinking is droplets of oil detonating.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Oil seals in the turbo gone or an oil leak into the intercooler?
csrdad1950

thanks guys

Post by csrdad1950 »

Kowalski,no oil being used,and the turbo seals appear to be ok,although these engines are known to leave a bit of residue in the intercooler pipes(black),,,,i think your idea of oil leaking into the inlet somewhere and requiring burnt of is the problem.Any suggestions,on hands on repair of this problem,is very welcome.......and once again may i thank you all for your help in trying to find a solution to this,,,,the environmental and health agencies will be onto me soon for smoke damaging the atmosphere and peoples lungs ha ha!!