top stut spher holder

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

acr car

top stut spher holder

Post by acr car »

can anyone tell me how to remove spher holder from sturt need to replace seal for pipe unable to remove seal on car no access to far in car is 2.1 diesel Xantia
deian

Post by deian »

handbrake on, chock back wheels, jack car front up with citroen jack (one side at a time), and place axle stands under a strong area either side, de pressurise the system, car on low height, and loosen the 12mm screw by the accumulator sphere, let idle for a little bit, then switch off, take whichever front wheel off

take the sphere off

take the drop-link off at the strut (allen key to hold the bolt in place as you open the nut (17mm i think), then unattach the struts leak off pipe where it coils into the car (just pop it off the solid return line going back into the engine bay, not the strut itself)...

you will have to slacken the strut at the bottom where it clamps with a nut, you will have to prise the clamp open with a screwdriver and probably hold it open with a wedge of some kind

to remove the strut itself from the top strut holder you just take the cap off the top of the strut top, undo the 24mm nut, and give the strut top a knock with a hammer, the strut will then undo from the strut top (or holder or as citroen call it sphere bracket).

the strut will then be free, take it out (along with the gaiter, that may well be stuck to something at the top, gentle persuasion will work here).

before you open the four bolts to get the strut top off slacken the feed pipe, it should just open and pull out, you now have the 4x 12mm bolts to open to free the strut top, it will fall down... which is why you have to take the strut off too, I didn't have to do this cos my strut top was corroded.

i didn't have a seal on my pipe inlet, but mine is a hydractive 2 model and has fatter pipes, so i can't speak for the non-hydractive model, if your is the hydractive model and needs the 17mm spanner to open the pipe nut then try tightening it first (not over tight though)??

hope that helps
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

What car?, what year? what spec??

The Sphere holder is one COMPLETE unit thats held into the "Shock" if you wish, but it is really a hydraulic strut by the SINGLE 20 odd mm nut on the top... but theres quite a bit to it..

Then theres 4 13mm nuts holding the top to the car..

Why do you need to replace a seal, they dont generally cause problems, unless you have removed the feed pipe??

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
acr car

Post by acr car »

yes have removed pipe and cannot get it back in so suspect seal proplem when removed removed to check if any pressure in pipe nil with car running have replaced anti sink valve seal and now no ns suspension or oil pressure need to refit pipe and strip anti sink again to check as ok before leak car is 2.1 diesel estate small feed pipe os suspension ok
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Use a hook-shaped pick tool like the little Snap-Off ones, to remove the seal - it's inserted slipped over the pipe, rather than prefitted.

Those 3.5mm tube seals can generally be re-used two or three times, if you're a tight-fisted person like me!