C5 dashboard dials dead

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

meeper
My Cars:

C5 dashboard dials dead

Post by meeper »

Good morning all,

having a problem with the c5 this morning. None of the dashboard dials are working! The various warning lights are fine but no life from the dials. Any ideas?

Car is a 2002 2.2 HDI Estate (Exclusive SE).

The central sat nav screen works fine.

May be weather related, as it's -5 and lots of snow everywhere but would like to cure it. Are there any cionnectors that I need to check and clean up?

Thanks in anticipation,

M.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Hi M,

"If" it is weather related then it should fix itself when the car is up to temperature and the heater is directed at the windscreen.

I had a Passat that used to do that.... :wink:

If not then i dont personally know..... :?
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Hello, this happened to me in my C5 2.2 Hdi Eclusive SE.

It was last year during a cold snap. When I started the engine the speedo and rev counter and I think the petrol gauge were all dead. From memory I think the voltmeter worked.

I discovered that it was a problem with my cheap TDI tuning box that I had fitted. The circuit components were obviously drastically affected by the very cold weather and must have been sending signals to my ECU which were out of range so the ECU stopped sending signals to my dashboard.

To cure the problem I just removed the tuning box. I refitted the box once the weather warmed up and it was fine.

So, do you have a tunung box fitted? If not, you could try pulling all of your fuses and relays out and plugging them back in because you may have a high resistance connection which is affecting signals to your ECU.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
meeper
My Cars:

Post by meeper »

Hi Kev,

no tuning box fitted, it's totally standard.

The problem has cleared as the weather has warmed up, but I will go through the fuses as you suggest as I would like to stop it happening again.

Are there any under bonnet connectors that I should check or clean too?

Thanks for the advice,

M.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Try the connections in the engine ECU compartment towards the bulckhead on the passenger side.

Open it up and pull out the relays and fuses. put them back in and waggle about a bit. This will refresh the connections.

I did this to mine and pulled the multi plugs off the ECU itself.

You could also remake the connections to the pressure sensor on the fuel rail. This one is underneath the inlet manifold on the front of the engine.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.