Citroen C2 wiper problem... Help!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ffitchie

Citroen C2 wiper problem... Help!!!!

Post by ffitchie »

I have an 04 plate 1.4 automatic C2 furio.
Just recently the front wipers have stopped working and the fromt screen wash has also stopped working.
We have taken this to two garages and one said it was the motors but could not guarantee and the other said they dont think its the motors but would have to link it up to the computer.
I have disconnected the battery, checked the fuses and got my mate who is pretty good with cars and we could not figure it out. If you take out the fuse in the glove box that is a funny looking fuse and says HS on it the wipers and head lights come on but put it back in and they turn off.

I looked on the C2 owners club and they had all suggested the obvious like check fuses and disconnect battery etc but i have done all that and the guy on there had same responses from garages.

He ended up asking for the software to be reinstalled on the computer on the car and that resolved the problem.

Any ideas or does it sound like the reinstall of the software may solve the problem.

Please help.

james
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Have you checked ALL the fuses including in the under bonnet fusebox ? The fuse you are pulling out is the shunt (SH) & its putting the com2000 in back up mode thats why the lights & wipers come on, to me that rules out a motor problem. If ALL of the fuses are OK then i would say its a software problem.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Does the C2 have a canbus system ?
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Yes the C2 is multiplexed.
ffitchie

Post by ffitchie »

thanks for your quick replies.

Not sure what a canbus system is but i believe it does have one according to another forum. As i did think of taking off the stork and checking for burnt out wires / lose connections but it said not to as it has this system.

What does multiplexed mean? Is that to do withe the onboard computer?
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Canbus or multiplex is a signal network throughout the car. Instead of running the power feed for each item from the switch that operates it and back again , the power feeds are local to each item and they are switched on and off by a coded signal through the canbus produced by an ECU that only that device recognises which then turns on or off as selected.It does meen that any item can do more than just turn on or off as the coded signal can select numerous active states. Sounds good in theory but they can be a nightmare to diagnose and you need to skill up and have the correct equipment to work on these systems. Also the manufacturers can be quite devious by coding the system not to recognise any replacements until they have been entered into the ECU as a new device. This has been known to go as far as batteries !!
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
ffitchie

Post by ffitchie »

Got the mrs to phone the garages she has taken the car to.

the first one said disconnecting the battery resets the computer. and he still believes that it is the motors that need changing £150.00. He said it because he ran a diagnostic on it and the computer told him the signal was being sent to the motors but the motors were not responding.

The other one was going to hook the car up to a computer to see what the problem was and that would reset the software £50.00.

So i now have two choices get the motors changed or get the software reset. But would disconnecting the battery do the same as hooking the car to a computer and resetting it that way?

I dont believe it is the motors as like i said taking out the SH "shunt" fuse and they come on.

i dont know what to do for the best
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

What were the circumstances when the wipers and washers stopped working ?
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
ffitchie

Post by ffitchie »

the other week there was quite a bit of snow on the windscreen and when the mrs turned on the wipers the went up about half way and stayed there. To get them back down she pushed them down manually.

Would the garage be able to repair the motors or would they just fit new ones and she seems to think the garage said they would repair not replace the motors.

Thanks for your help on this by the way.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

The wipers were probably turned off by the ECU because it detected overload on the motor due to the snow.They would have reset if left to their own devices. Now , I have to be careful with this bit , because your good lady manually forced them back it may have mechanically damaged the wiper mech . The only thing that contradicts this theory is you mentioned they moved when the shunt was removed ?
Do they work correctly with that fuse out ?
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

There only is one motor & its working fine by the sounds of it, removing the shunt is putting the system into back up mode.
Ask the garage if they will refund you if the motor doesent fix the problem ?
Is it a citroen dealer ?
ffitchie

Post by ffitchie »

when the shint fuse is out thye just come on but i cant change the speed or turn them off and for that reason is why i think the motor is fine but i am no mechanic. she said the garage said if it dont work they wont charge so as long as thats true i will just send her as she is booked in today.

If it works or not i will put a post on here and let you know but i fear it wont and i will be out of pocket!
ffitchie

Post by ffitchie »

garage who said it was the motors have had a go this morning and have come to the conclusion that it was not the motors and they dont have the facility to do the system reinstall.

So If its not the motors must me the computer? I hope!
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

Did you manage to fix or resolve this issue ?

Regards

John