XUD9 vs DW8

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

XUD9 vs DW8

Post by spider »

Not sure if this should of gone in the Citroen forum as its the same really. My first post ( hello :D ) too.

Anyway, I'd be interested to know people's opinions, I've always found the DW8 to have less power than the XUD (obviously, I'm talking about the normally aspirated variant of the XUD) and slightly less economical. To be fair, the DW8 was a relatively new design when I concluded this thought a few years ago, perhaps things have changed.

The 206 DW8 does seem a bit slow though, compared to a 1760 XUD 205, although having said that, comparing a late 306 XUD to a 306 DW8, there does not seem to be that much difference.

I seem to recall possibly the early DW8's had a bolt on the cambelt cover shared with a water pump belt too (I may be mistaken) , and although I've never done a cambelt on one, I have done plenty of XUD's, I understand the DW8 is not self tensioning.

From memory, early DW8's did not have an electronic advance (99 models) so were sensible in the pump department (again, could be wrong here)

As I'm going buying around May, I'm sort of stuck on what to get given a limited budget too... I'd probably get a 99 306 D (hoping door looms are ok) to be honest but I'm not sure if a 206 would be a better buy.
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: XUD9 vs DW8

Post by wheeler »

spider wrote:
I seem to recall possibly the early DW8's had a bolt on the cambelt cover shared with a water pump belt too (I may be mistaken) , and although I've never done a cambelt on one, I have done plenty of XUD's, I understand the DW8 is not self tensioning.
Not sure exactlly what you mean but both engines the timing belt drives the water pump aswell. on the DW8 one of the timing cover bolts is also a water pump bolt.
spider

Post by spider »

wheeler wrote:Not sure exactlly what you mean but both engines the timing belt drives the water pump aswell. on the DW8 one of the timing cover bolts is also a water pump bolt.
Yes, that's what I meant but I was not sure if it was a "shared" bolt so to speak. :) , I made a typo I should of put "bolt" not "belt"

Realise the water pump is belt driven (I've lost count on how many I've changed for people over a few years!) , although its shame the auto tensioner was removed from the later engines.

I actually had one seize "in" on my 205, rather than buy a new one (complete with the half engine mount!)

I took it off, made a holding bracket (the dealer has these to hold the plunger in if you need to remove it, I'll get a pic of my "home made" one tomorrow) , filled with oil and left over night off the car, a few taps the next day freed it off, cleaned oil out and re-fitted so I could tension the belt. :)

I'd still be interested to hear power vs economy between XUD and DW8 though, along with the pump question (I "think" the early DW8's did not have the electronic advance pump)
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

My understanding was that the XUD and DW8 were more or less the same engine....except the DW8 had a revised head design. DW8 always have Lucas pumps and no turbo option though.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
spider

Post by spider »

evilally wrote:My understanding was that the XUD and DW8 were more or less the same engine....except the DW8 had a revised head design. DW8 always have Lucas pumps and no turbo option though.
Know about no turbo and always Lucas pumps ;) , Don't mind that at all.

They just seem to be down on torque really, a bit um, "flat" for want of a better word compared to an XUD that's all. Just wanted a couple of opinions (perhaps I had tried a few bad ones) from people who have had both really. :)

I do think doing away with the EGR would help a little bit though.

I'm just sort of 50/50 on which car to get really (or engine come to that) :?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

spider wrote:
wheeler wrote:Not sure exactlly what you mean but both engines the timing belt drives the water pump aswell. on the DW8 one of the timing cover bolts is also a water pump bolt.
Yes, that's what I meant but I was not sure if it was a "shared" bolt so to speak. :) , I made a typo I should of put "bolt" not "belt"
Just remember to release the pressure from the cooling system by taking the cap off or you can end up with a leak from the water pump gasket.
siraff

Post by siraff »

I've had both to bits quite a lot and apart from some very minor bits the main differences are all emissions related.
The DW8 will feel less gutsy as its having to breath harder to make up for all the emissions rubbish.
I've always found the pump is set differently, too. The XUD pump is usually set for just a hint of smoke where the DW8 is set for nothing at all.
They are pretty much the same engine apart from bolt ons but I'd have the XUD everytime if I had to pick.
The only thing the DW8 has going for it (in my opinion) is that it tends to be smoother and a bit less boomy than the XUD. Otherwise it was a step backwards forced by tightening regulations.