Any ideas on Starting Issue with 2.0 HDi 90BHP Xantia?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AshJam
My Cars:

Any ideas on Starting Issue with 2.0 HDi 90BHP Xantia?

Post by AshJam »

Hi all,
I'm new here but from having a look around it seems that you know how to deal with most Xantia problems!

Had this forum recomended to me from the CX Club forum.. Here's my original post from their.....

I've got a 2.0 HDI 90BHP Xantia (2000) and since the weather has been below 7c it has taken more turns to start (it usually starts after/on the fourth). Since the weather has been very cold it takes anything upto and over 18!

I've changed the battery & Fuel Filter and put better fuel in (BP Ultimate) and still no luck. The low pressure pump is only about a year old and sounds like it's working fine. It'll fire up fine once it's actually been started and is fine for the rest of the day once it has had a run. Any ideas? I'm stumped :oops:
Cheers,
Ash
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Sounds like it could be a glow plug issue.
But I don't know very much about HDi engines. But never fear, this forum is positively crawling with Xantia and HDi boffins :D

Good luck
-Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

HDI glow plugs are only activated for a few seconds when the temp is freezing or below. For example , it was -3 when I started mine today and the glow symbol was only lit for 2-3 seconds. It will start but in cranks more than normal , so what I do is turn the key to the ignition on stage twice , then it tends to fire normally. Another tip is to depress the clutch when very cold starting , this removes the drag of the gearbox and gives the starter motor and battery an easier time !

If it is still reluctant to start it may well have a dead glow plug or 2.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
AshJam
My Cars:

Post by AshJam »

Thanks for the replies :)

I will look into getting the glow plugs checked. I would've done this sooner but was advised that they aren't really needed on HDi engines unless it gets into arctic temperatures.... it would seem I was told wrong! I Try to avoid going to ignition twice, that sort of thing seems to make traffic mistress shout at me about being expired (bloody annoying thing :lol: ) but I'll try it in the morning.

Sorry to be doing more asking than contributing but what brand/model of glow plug would you recommend?

I always dip the clutch on start up, old habbit that I've managed to keep! :lol:
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Traffic master is a PITA !! Just hit the TM button if she opens her gob !!

Personally I would go for NGK or Bosch glows.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Hehe Martin's Xantia does that.
I'm not certain about the HDi engine, but glow plugs are generally simple to pull out and look at.
If I were hunting for glow plugs, I'd go for NGK plugs. Usually you can find some good deals on ebay for them. They can come to £7 a plug.

-Alex

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I'm not familiar with the HDI engine, but have you checked that the glowplugs busbar is getting +ve feed? Have you a voltmeter to check it? Even a 12 v bulb connected between busbar and earth would would tell you if busbar's live during start-up.

Is the engine very lumpy when it does eventually fire up? With my 1.9TD, I find that 1 glowplug down is just noticable as it gets to winter, but 2 down, and it really needs some churning, and then when it fires up, it's quite lumpy for a few seconds, with noticable smoke from exhaust.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
AshJam
My Cars:

Post by AshJam »

thanks for the help everyone and for the plug recommendations!

I think HDI was right with the diagnosis of glowplugs... I tried the suggestion of ignition on and off a few times (mercifully trafficmistress kept quiet.... obviously too early for her to start shouting at me!) and it started like it does in warmer weather!

Doesn't run lumpy once started, was just reluctant to start.

So now I'll look into getting the plugs checked/changed :D

Cheers!
Ash
deian

Post by deian »

maybe it's all ok and just the cold weather
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

I believe the plugs in the HDi engine don't stay on for long. In my TD the light stays on for a good 4-5 seconds but I still need to cycle the ignition a few times.
So they're probably ok, just it's a little more cold than it's used to :D

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Stunned Monkey

Post by Stunned Monkey »

Chlorate wrote:Hehe Martin's Xantia does that.
Heh, not any more it doesn't :P

A very long story short: I had one glowplug go short many moons ago, and after replacing all 4, I never did check the battery other than replace it with another which behaved exactly the same (cranked slowly when cold and continued to do so for a further 3 years). Cold starting at anything below 3 degrees was a nightmare.

Things got daft over Christmas so I bought a new one (gasp!) and now the damn thing cranks beautifully and fires within seconds even at -4 as it was the other morning.

The glowplug light is crap - it tells you nothing.

If you get the opportunity, use a jump lead and a battery to see for yourself how long it take s a glowplug to heat up - it's about 4 seconds. I've now taken to ignoring the light and counting to 5 when I turn the ignition on before cranking. you'd be surprised at the difference.
Martin
-------
Old Faithful: Silver V-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, died due to tin worm @ 259k miles
New Faithful: Silver W-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, 169k miles and counting...
Previous: Various BX's, XM V6 24,
Venturi Atlantique 300, Alpine A610
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

When the glow plug is in the engine it takes longer to heat up sufficiently due to the heat sink effect of the head.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

I meant the Traffic Master lady being noisy if you cycle the ignition.
But whatever :lol:

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP