Xantia 90Hdi....banging noise when starting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Xantia 90Hdi....banging noise when starting

Post by rmunns »

This may be connected to the noise which sounds like a loud fan (which I have reported before).

Starting from cold, the car stars at once but the first 'catch' of the engine is accompanied by quite a thump. This has been noticed in the cold weather.

The other 'fan noise' is heard on idling with a warmed-up engine. Definitely not radiator fans. It's been suggested that the crank pulley might be the culprit. How easy is it to get to this and how easy to check?

Maybe both these noises are the same problem?

Car is year 2000 with only 46000miles, FSH Main Dealer.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

easy to check the pulley. Expose it and using a paint pen, draw a few lines across the two halves between the rubber band.

Let the paint dry, start up and see if the lines have moved and broken, suggesting the inner is spinning against the outer and showing the rubber has broken down.

It's very possible and these pulleys are a source of trouble on every engine they're fitted to.

The other possibility is the pulley is/was a little loose on the crank tail. This will have had the effect of wearing the woodruff keyway and allowing some lateral movement. I've head a 1.9TD with this problem bang on start-up and when stopping as the pulley keyway moved relative to the key when subject to sudden jolts as would occur on starting and stopping.

Whatever, it is vital to check the pulley as they can let go with violent and expensive consequences...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

Thanks, I'll have a look.