Dispatch HDi keeps cutting out

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark3697

Dispatch HDi keeps cutting out

Post by mark3697 »

Hi been reading this forum with interest & can't believe wealth of knowledge out there.
I have a 2001 Dispatch HDI which has covered 100k. A few months back the engine management light came on & it cut out on the motorway restarting straight away on the hard shoulder. Garage diagnosed a faulty in tank fuel pump which they replaced along with fuel pump & glow plug heater relays. (another fault code) Amber light disapeared at first but has now come back on again with the van cutting out more than ever & sometimes taking a while to restart. The fault code is P0230 which apparently relates to fuel pump primary circuit but the garage seem at a loss as to what to do now!
Anybody got any ideas before the garage bankrupt me?

P.S.Don't know if it's related or not but the pre-heat light only stays on for a couple of seconds when starting even when sub zero temp & can take a while to fire up.
howiedean
My Cars:

Re: Dispatch HDi keeps cutting out

Post by howiedean »

mark3697 wrote:Hi been reading this forum with interest & can't believe wealth of knowledge out there.
I have a 2001 Dispatch HDI which has covered 100k. A few months back the engine management light came on & it cut out on the motorway restarting straight away on the hard shoulder. Garage diagnosed a faulty in tank fuel pump which they replaced along with fuel pump & glow plug heater relays. (another fault code) Amber light disapeared at first but has now come back on again with the van cutting out more than ever & sometimes taking a while to restart. The fault code is P0230 which apparently relates to fuel pump primary circuit but the garage seem at a loss as to what to do now!
Anybody got any ideas before the garage bankrupt me?

P.S.Don't know if it's related or not but the pre-heat light only stays on for a couple of seconds when starting even when sub zero temp & can take a while to fire up.

Hi,
There are a few threads on HDI's cutting out however it does sound similar to the problems I've experienced. The pre-heat is working as advertised so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

1. Can you explain under what conditions your car cuts out (random, RPM, Temperature)?
2. Have you changed the fuel filter recently?
3. Next time the car cuts out, disconnect right hand fuel connector on the top of the fuel filter housing then switch on the ignition. Is there much fuel coming out and what is it's pressure like?

A few things to check for now, although you might want to see if you live near one of the forum members who have access to a scanning tool.
:wink:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=26807

Regards

Howie
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
mark3697

Post by mark3697 »

Thanks Howie for your response.

The engine cutting out seems to be totally random though normally when driving as opposed to idling. After the pump was replaced it was running for about 20 secs on idle & then stopping which I presume was air in the fuel lines as this seems to have no rectified itself. The engine management light now sometimes goes out but comes back on as soon as the engine cuts out.
I have not changed the fuel filter yet but will do to see if it helps. Will also check the fuel pressure.

Thanks again for your help & suggestions.
Mark
mark3697

fuel filter

Post by mark3697 »

Does anyone know how to change the fuel filter on the dispatch HDI?. It's got a bosch system & have located the housing with the inlet/outlet pipes on the top but no obvious way to open it up. Have spent a fortune on this of late so don't want to bust it through sheer ignorance!

Thanks in advance.

Mark
howiedean
My Cars:

Re: fuel filter

Post by howiedean »

mark3697 wrote:Does anyone know how to change the fuel filter on the dispatch HDI?. It's got a bosch system & have located the housing with the inlet/outlet pipes on the top but no obvious way to open it up. Have spent a fortune on this of late so don't want to bust it through sheer ignorance!

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Mark, have a look at the following: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 34753ae6d8

Howie
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
mark3697

Post by mark3697 »

Cheers mate that's a great help.

Mark
mark3697

fuel filter

Post by mark3697 »

I have finally managed to get round to changing the fuel filter after all the bad weather problems but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. On a journey to work today (approx 22 miles) it cut out 6 times and twice on the way home.
It has been suggested by an RAC patrolman that the ignition switch may be faulty which he diagnosed due to the fact that it is "running on". Don't know if anyone else has got round to changing one of these after having similar problems? Also it has been suggested faulty wiring to the fuel pump pressure switch??
This is now becoming a nightmare!