frozen gear cables

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

meexi
My Cars:

frozen gear cables

Post by meexi »

where we stay we had -12 temp drop two nights ago and both our cars in a garage had frozen gear change cables, I am thinking that when we had the floods in Nov that water has got in to them and then we have never had warm days to dry them out (global warming i dont think so)
2004 C3 XTR HDI 16V 92bhp
2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDI 16V 110bhp
1989 Peugeot J5 Hymer B694 2.5td intercooled 8v 96bhp
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Amazing the problems that can occur in very low and very high temperatures ! I had the doors freeze to the bodywork on a Merc some years back , what a pain that was !! I now wipe a thin smear of silicone over the door seals just before the first freezing weather of the season.

Nothing compared to the poor Russians though. It's so cold in some places over there in Winter that oil can solidify in the sump unless they use sump heaters and special Arctic grade oil. Hoses and steel can become brittle too !!
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
deian

Post by deian »

and they still managed to make the worse cars ever and try to sell them to us... the lada!

maybe put a little fan heater underneath the car to melt the gear cables and dry out the water, i wouldn't melt/warm it up too fast though
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'm sure our Scandinavian members will confirm that it is normal there for cars that aren't parked in heated garages to have a connection to an electricity supply that keeps the engine warm at night. The flats I lived in hat "hitching posts" for every parking place. I've been singularly unsuccessful in finding an image of them, must be one somewhere in my old photo's.

A lot of cars have timed pre-heaters that will warm the engine compartment and the cabin.

We also never used the handbrake in winter, just left the car in gear as the handbrake would often freeze on. Also we used to park with each wheel on some old news paper or similar to prevent the tyres freezing to the ground.
deian

Post by deian »

Sounds like a lot of cuffuffle, the silly thing is, once the car is started and moving after the night time it will probably work great!
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

myglaren wrote:I'm sure our Scandinavian members will confirm that it is normal there for cars that aren't parked in heated garages to have a connection to an electricity supply that keeps the engine warm at night. The flats I lived in hat "hitching posts" for every parking place. I've been singularly unsuccessful in finding an image of them, must be one somewhere in my old photo's.

A lot of cars have timed pre-heaters that will warm the engine compartment and the cabin.

We also never used the handbrake in winter, just left the car in gear as the handbrake would often freeze on. Also we used to park with each wheel on some old news paper or similar to prevent the tyres freezing to the ground.

Hell fire that sounds cold over there....
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Was damned cold in winter and blazing hot in summer, extremes of -40°C to around +38°C. They don´t seem to get those extremes lately though.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Just another ordinary winter weekend is expected up in North :mrgreen:

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: frozen gear cables

Post by VertVega »

meexi wrote:where we stay we had -12 temp drop two nights ago and both our cars in a garage had frozen gear change cables, I am thinking that when we had the floods in Nov that water has got in to them and then we have never had warm days to dry them out (global warming i dont think so)
It helps if you apply some grease or other lubricant under the gear shift link cups.
This pic is for a manual and BE3, like mine.

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

Not such a problem with the rods, it's the cable operated gearchange thet's more of a problem. If they do get water in them (i.e.floods) then they will freeze solid. New cables are about £90 a pair. Will cure it though!