Poor Earth in a Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AllenM
My Cars:

Poor Earth in a Xantia

Post by AllenM »

G'day from Brisbane.
I have a 97 Xantia CT with what I suspect is a poor earth. I have cleaned all the earths next to the battery but I still don't have any dash lights except for the accessory light, I don't have fuel, water temp. oil temp. gauges or rev. counter. I do have head and foglight and blinkers showing on the dash. The horn, wipers, washers, electric windows and central locking on the key all still work, as does the security key pad. It starts and runs without a problem. The remote central locking wont work on the remote control but when I tested the overhead receiver by earthing circuits out it worked fine. Am I right, is it a faulty earth or is it something else. The car has been off the road for a month and it's about time it started to earn its keep.:cheers:
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

If the problem is that the dash bulbs aren't illuminating then check the rheostat wheel under the steering column, giving it a slight turn is often enough to get the bulbs working again.

With the remote control have you checked the batteries in the remote?

Bearing in mind that you say your car has an overhead receiver for the remote am I correct in thinking that your Xantia is a Series 1 model? i.e. grill below the bonnet rather than built into the bonnet?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It is; a Series 1 CT (not Activa).
AllenM
My Cars:

Post by AllenM »

As Addo says it is a Ser.1 CT.
The lights that illuminate the dash work quiet well the ones not working are the great array of lights you would normally get when you turn on the ignition and as I said the gauges and rev. counter. Cheers.