Noisy Alternator bearings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vince
My Cars:

Noisy Alternator bearings

Post by vince »

Guys has anyone come across this before and is it a live with it fault?

Since the weather started to get really cold and the snow came, every time i start the car in the morning the alternator bearings sound like they are shot....(a loud chirruping noise). However literally after about 30 seconds of idle the noise is completely gone....so the engine is not yet warmed up.

Could it be anything other than the alternator bearings? Aux belt tensioner etc?

Thoughts?

:)
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Are you sure it's not a slipping belt ?
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Are you sure the noise isn't simply due to the alternator working harder to replace the lost charge? You can test this once the noise has stopped by turning on the headlights and heated rear window to see whether it re-occurs.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sounds like a noisy belt to me. You may nee a new one as the 'V's tend to wear and don't fit the grooves very well - which encourages slip.

It must be very tight - see book as to how tight and how to adjust as it varies from model to model.
jeremy
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

If the belt is slipping yet is already tensioned correctly then the bottom pulley is most probably worn allowing the belt to slip due to the addtional load placed upon it by the alternator being under load.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Thanks for your thoughts so far guys,

The belt has been recently replaced but in any event the noise does not sound like a slipping belt.

It seems a bit warmer outside today so i will see what happens when i start it this morning...... :)

When started first thing i always have everything turned off including blowers and rear screen de mister etc. Once running then these are switched on if necessary but the noise doesnt return......yet :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Had a noisy alternator on a BX TD - but that was a constant rumbling / whining. Got progressively worse then one weekend we went Reading - Glasgow and back,after which I was thinking it was REALLY noisy. Next day, phone call from unimpressed SWMBO "Car's stopped, won't restart". Turns out it had only lasted another 5 miles before seizing solid and stalling the engine, and with the belt still on couldn't get enough cranking speed to restart it. Was away with the belt off - exchange starter was only £65 or something (yes, even though it was seized!) - fitting it was much much harder than it needed to be though!!
Richard W