sx spehres vs. hydractive soft mode

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

sx spehres vs. hydractive soft mode

Post by deian »

hi,

was over at pauls today and i saw how soft the rear of this xantia sx was, lovely and fluffy comes to mind, anyway, he says normal sx spheres are softer than hydractive when in soft mode, so to get the hydractive as soft as possible would it be nice to put sx spheres on, or is it a silly idea?

thx
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: sx spehres vs. hydractive soft mode

Post by DickieG »

deian wrote:hi,

was over at pauls today and i saw how soft the rear of this xantia sx was, lovely and fluffy comes to mind, anyway, he says normal sx spheres are softer than hydractive when in soft mode, so to get the hydractive as soft as possible would it be nice to put sx spheres on, or is it a silly idea?
Hydractive in soft mode is softer than standard Hydroneumatic but for an even sofer ride fit non Hydractive sphere's to a Hydractive car, sooo soft, I've been enjoying the soo smooth ride on my HDi for 110 miles today, comfort personified :D :D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
deian

Post by deian »

Pauls one is VERY soft, and I doubt he's put hydractive ones one, that would make it harder, we'll see how I go anyway, cos my backend isn't as soft as the front. I'll see how I feel after my fix. I'll keep you posted richard.

How is the handling in hard mode compared to how a hard mode would be with the proper spheres?

Thx
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

DickieG wrote:
deian wrote:hi,

Hydractive in soft mode is softer than standard Hydroneumatic but for an even sofer ride fit non Hydractive sphere's to a Hydractive car, sooo soft, I've been enjoying the soo smooth ride on my HDi for 110 miles today, comfort personified :D :D
Hi Richard...i need to change my rear spheres pretty soon and was going to follow suit and do the rear corners with non hydractives.

But...when we spoke about it at the national rally, did you say it can bottom out on the rear ? and if so under what conditions?

:)
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

vince wrote:Hi Richard...i need to change my rear spheres pretty soon and was going to follow suit and do the rear corners with non hydractives.

But...when we spoke about it at the national rally, did you say it can bottom out on the rear ? and if so under what conditions?

:)
If you have a full load and are travelling over an undulating road surface, in such instances I put the suspension into sports mode which addresses it. When in sports mode pretty much any degree of steering, braking or compressing of the suspension switches the suspension into firm mode.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Great, a perfect solution..... :D

Non hydractive rears...here we come :P
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Not sure if DG is talking about his break or the V6.

Wagons have a 40mm rear cylinder bore, compared to the saloon's 30mm. That's 1250mm² vs 700mm² which is what (I reckon) makes an unladen break tend to be a little "crashy".
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote: which is what (I reckon) makes an unladen break tend to be a little "crashy".
Yes, very possibly Adam. They do ride a lot better when well loaded...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

addo wrote:Not sure if DG is talking about his break or the V6.
I have non hydractive sphere's on my HDi estate and my VSX TD saloon, the V6 run's with standard Hydractive sphere's, both the saloon and estate can suffer with poor damping if fully loaded on an undulating road's which is when I switch to sports mode. As for the vast majority of time I drive alone in the car this isn't a problem.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
deian

Post by deian »

so would you say it could become 'overly' soft if i put standard spheres on a hydractive car when fully laden?? i.e it will just wallow like marshmallow

i would like a cushiony ride in comfort mode, and a little bit softer than what i get now on hard mode without making people sick in the back, only very often i get a full car, 4 ppl at the most when i am taxi to my sister and her toddlers, and sometimes 3 adults.

i've been looking at the sphere table on old-guy site and i'm wondering whether to just put hydractive estate spheres on my saloon rather than standard sphere and put standard on my front?
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

It seems Dei that if you run a Hydractive saloon then you dont need to experience any rear end grounding out as you can manually select Hydractive and avoid it :wink:

Ive ridden in Richard's VSX, it is well worth switching to non hydractive's on the 4 corners....ive had my fronts on non hydractives for a while now and it transformed the ride for the better 8)
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Vince has got it right, the only proviso I put on using non Hydractive sphere's on a Hydractive car is to think about how you use the car, i.e. Do you carry a full load more often than not and do you regularly drive the car quickly, if that's the case then stick with the standard set-up.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH