Speedo temp and STOP light and cruise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

trooper30
My Cars:

Speedo temp and STOP light and cruise

Post by trooper30 »

Alright fellas, hope you all had a good xmas. :D
Was on my way back form Newcastle today and whilst crawling along the M1 at 30mph (took us over 7 hours to do whats usally a just over a 3hour run) My STOP light came on, my speedo was eraticaly flicking up and down, and my temp light came on although seh kept a healty temp all the way. Worried as i had my family in the car I pulled off the motorway, checked oil, warter, looked for any fluid leaks, checked and bounced the suspension, and couldnt find anything wrong. Apart form the dash issues the car did the next 210 miles with no probs at all. If you look at the pic you will see what i mean, although the speedo says zero was doing about 75 at the time.
When I got back into Milton Keynes the STOP light started to flicker a little and after a few roundabouts and some heavy breaking the STOP light went out, and comes on and off randomly along with the temp light. Speedo still flicking iratacly between 0 and 100 no matter if the car is stationary or not and isnt clocking up any mile.

Sooooooooooooo, any ideas fellas? :D Oh and forgot to mention that the cruise control stoped working at the same time

Image [/img]
Last edited by trooper30 on 28 Dec 2009, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

I cant add anything posative on the speedo issue but i have had a similar temp guage and warning on my old 1.9 n/a
The sensor on the thermostat housing was giving false readings (earthing out) and sending the information that it was too hot.This put both the stop and temp light on but also set the cooling fans running.A quick clean up of the contacts and i never had the problem again.

Hope this helps

Colin
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Strangely that can be linked to using the heater if there is a wiring or sensor fault somewhere. Maybe could be cleared with a Lexia session. My HDI did it and there were no emergency issues. The lights went off again after ten mins as long as heater blower was not used again. Check it out.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Were the cooling fans running at top speed when the temperature warning light was on? If so, suspect a dirty or iffy connection on the brown Bitron sensor located on the thermostat housing or a bad connection on the Bitron controller. The latter is hard to reach as it lives under the nearside headlight :twisted:

The speedo problem may be bad connections on the vehicle speed sensor which lives on top of the diff housing above the RH driveshaft. Quite a hostile spot.

If you fancy a Lexia session at any time, come over and see me. I'm not a million miles away...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Take a look at this post, I had a similar thing happen with the stop and coolant light on my HDi, can't help with the speedo though.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
trooper30
My Cars:

Post by trooper30 »

CitroJim wrote: If you fancy a Lexia session at any time, come over and see me. I'm not a million miles away...
Might just take you up on that as it happens. :D

Oh and one thing i forgot to mention is that when all of this happened the cruise control stoped working as well if that has any bearing
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Cruise can be a moody thing on these cars - dry solder joints in the control box, oxidised contacts in the brake pedal switch or stalk, and vacuum leaks to the actuation bellows.

Use a proper contact cleaner/lubricant where desired, rather than water displacer type sprays.
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Cruise requires a speed input. Signal loss causes cruise to lock out.
Uses the same drive box signal as the speedo.
Most likely there is no seperate fault with the cruise circuit.

John
Xmexclusive
trooper30
My Cars:

Post by trooper30 »

Cheers for that John, i thought it might me somthing to do with the speedo.