Scuttle Panel??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Scuttle Panel??

Post by lexi »

Lets start off by saying that this term is somewhat of a misnomer. Bottom window trim would be more accurate. The trim is moulded to include a drain channel that leads water down inner wing and to the ground. It really takes the place of a standard bottom window rubber.

Mine has a few cracks in it . Possibly renewed by the Ventriloquist......Gavin at Autoglass. You know.......the five minute advert that leaves you wondering ..... WTF ? I didn`t catch a word of that :lol:
I filled the cracks in trim as well

No leaks in mine but a gap between trim and window that you could put a thick blade into. I didn`t risk stripping scuttle as it would come apart and a new one is £80 quid. I cleaned the trim and window glass with meths. Then gunned in Sikaflex low modulous sealant. It`s brill!

This is then tooled into the gap with a wet stick cut to just less than gap thickness.

It`s best if you can get some depth to your joint..I had about 3-4mm. Even better if you can get trim off. This will seal it however. Tidy it up with wet stick and finger till you get it neat.

The all important part is in ths area.

If there is ingress at trim above the heater duct it drops in and soaks carpets and floor. At the other end it would merely run down the Bulkhead.
Sikaflex low mod is £ 4.86 at B&Q for a good size tube. It can be used all around car......even for a seam sealer and can be overpainted. Don`t confuse it with the High Mod Adhesive type Sika.

For a proper job take the trim off CAREFULLY with a long thin blade sharpened to cut through the gunge after gentle heating.Theres a plastic rivet to pop at each end and wipers to remove. Clean all glass and trim and de-grease with Toluene. The Sika is ideal for rebedding it down. Polyurethane (Sika) will seal better to plastic than silicone will.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent guide to this essential job Lexi :D

This will be a much appreciated thread by many...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

When resealing the scuttle trim, if the corners are sitting too far from the windscreen, you can, with the bonnet closed, use a couple of match boxes, or similar to hold it in place while the sealant dries.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

CitroJim wrote:Excellent guide to this essential job Lexi :D

This will be a much appreciated thread by many...
Indeed Jim, i need to do mine :P
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...