BX REAR SPOILER

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

franciscolunn
My Cars:

BX REAR SPOILER

Post by franciscolunn »

ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO TAKE THE REAR SPOILER OFF A BX GTI,NEED TO GET IT RESPRAYED AS A KIND PERSON HAS DECLARED HIS HATRED OF IT AND LEFT NUMEROUS DEEP SCRATCHES ON IT.I'VE LOOKED UNDER TAILGATE BUT CAN'T SEE ANY FIXINGS FOR THE SPOILER.COULD LEAVE IT ON BUT GARAGE WANTS AN EXTRA 20 QUID FOR THE AWKWARDNESS OF IT.(I KNOW CHANGE GARAGE)
TA.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Fairly easy to do. There are two long bolts on each side (about four inches) i think you have to take off bits of plastic in the boot to get to it. I think its 10mm so you may want to stick a deep socket into the hole and feel around for the top of the bolt. The next step is to seperate the spoiler and boot. They are glued together and the spoiler is fibreglass. You need to poor a load of boiling water around the base of the spoiler and slowly pull/peel it off. You may want to use a wide blade or strong fine wire to break the seal. Putting it back on simply requires some glue (mostly to stop it rattling) and screw the bolts back in.
franciscolunn
My Cars:

Post by franciscolunn »

THANKS VANNY I'LL GIVE IT A GO.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

If it's the 8v GTI or mk 1 16v rear spoiler you have, then it is held by two bolts, as Vanny describes, and two 6mm (10mm socket size) nuts which are hidden below 2 plastic bungs. You will need an extension on the socket as they are inside the void of the boot lid.
There is no glue on this design.
If you have mk2 16v gti spoiler then Vanny's description is spot on
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

That was based on a spoiler that i pulled off of an E-reg GTi with auto gearbox and Aircon. We tried it on another GTi first (in the scrap yard) and simply used brute force (and a piece of exhaust) to rip it off and find out what made it stick, but they both had glue. Anoying, it could have made life easy to find one without!!