ZX rear washer pipe snapped?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the_weaver
My Cars:

ZX rear washer pipe snapped?

Post by the_weaver »

Hi folks

The washer for the rear screen on my ZX hatchback has stopped working. On investigation it looks like the washer pipe has snapped at the point where it crosses over from the roof to the hatch. There's a rubber grommet at the rear of the roof and the pipe seems to have snapped off at this point. Either the pipe has snapped or the system is designed with two pipes which butt together inside the rubber grommet. Seems a strange bit of design if that's how it's meant to be. Can anybody confirm if that is the correct design please.

The pipe has fallen inside the enclosed metalwork of the roof (double skin at this point) so I can't reconnect the two ends. I've removed the plastic panels in the boot and pulled down the corner of the roof lining and I think I might have found the pipe running above the offside rear quarterlight window. Somehow I'm going to have to get the pipe back to the position of the grommet and reconnect the two parts. Any tips on this? It looks like a horrible job to me. Three hours fishing about with a bent coat-hanger probably.

Paul
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think there may be a nylon connector where the pipe emerges from the bodywork - but its a long time since I took mine apart.

I'd get a suitable nylon joiner from an accessory shop (even Halfords) and some more tube and join it somewhere convenient and run a new pipe by whatever route is convenient. Obviously if you want a concours rather than a functional job you're going to have to get it behind the roof lining but otherwise I don't see why you shouldn't run it through the outer edge of the door lip flange and round the shut face - making sure it isn't crushed when the door is shut.

Be careful if you're drilling near the bottom of the channel as water may leak in through the hole. A good dollop of seam sealer may be what is needed to seal the pipe to the channel.
jeremy
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Thanks for the reply Jeremy. I managed to get a new piece of pipe from the grommet, through the roof, to the existing pipe where it runs above the rear offside quarter-light. Unfortunately I only had 3mm diameter pipe which is too small to go over the non-return valve. I've now found some 4.7 mm diameter pipe, so I've have another go with that tomorrow.

Does anybody know what diameter the original Citroen washer pipe is?

Paul