Xantia Hydraulic Pump Replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

StevieM

Xantia Hydraulic Pump Replacement

Post by StevieM »

Folks,

Have 1.8 16V '95 Xantia (not Activa....non a/con)
-
In process of sourcing replacement pump.
-
Appreciate any advice with regards to changing this....(fearing worst, considering that took me 7 hours to change my steering pinion valve last May!)
-
Please give me some brief pointers, if you can.
-
Many Thanks, Steve
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Are the petrols like the DERV's, were as the HP pump is on the sump without air con, and up above the alintator with Air con?

Anyway, 95, she SHOULD have anti sink which is a VERY GOOD thing, because with the car in high or normal on these, you can actually remove the Pump WITH THE SYSTEM UNDER PRESSUE, because the anti sink valves stop any return..

Ive just changed one on my mums HDi with anti sink, pointers, you'll need a DAMM good 12mm spanner, or pipe union spanner to undo the two 12mm unions on the pump, these get VERY tight for some reason, they are a standard flare too...

Pump is held on by two bolts, one under the pump with a 6mm allen head, goes right through to the other side and has a threaded spacer which doubles up to secure the pipes to the pump, it WILL draw out through one of the holes in the pully, its designed to.. the other is on the pipe side and is at the top right side ofthe pump... slacken the two pipes and remove the LHM feed pipe first, then when you've undone the two bolts unscrew the unions and lift the pump away..

Oooppss, remove Aux belt first, unfortunally, on Petrols im not familliar with the tensioning of them..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Aux belt in your Xantia should be like:

(3) and (5) roller support fixing screws
(6) tensioning screw

Hope this helps
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
StevieM

Post by StevieM »

Paul,

Many thanks for taking the time to respond.
-
I wonder what the advantage is of leaving under pressure while doing the job.....it will still be up on axle stands.

I have 6 spheres total....may be wrong here, but, understand that the central rear one is anti-sink, and front central the " buffer" one, or whatever it's called, to keep residual pressure in system for long enough to brake once, if all pressure fails.
yes...pump down at sump level.
-
How hard is it to remove pulley from pump?? (wondering what the best way is considering don't wish to mangle pulley in vice)
-
Mr Vertvega....tks for that...cannot see pics as red "x" symbol...may have more luck when get home.
-
Tks, Again!!
-
Steve[/img]
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Nothing really, but if your pump is low mounted infront of the sump it leaves space to get under with a Jack... The suspension stays up so it just prevents non access under the car IF NEEDED!!

The Pullys DO NOT come off easyilly AT ALL, I beleve But could wrong, they are head shrunk on, but Im not certain, never had to take a pully off as the holes are large enough to get the long bolt out...

Yes you do have anti sink then, the one on the front, the buffer is just as important as the 4 corner ones, as its also known as the Regulator Sphere, Accumilator Sphere, or Brake reserve sphere...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
StevieM

Post by StevieM »

Paul.....
-
Even though mine anti-sink...still find "sunk" after couple of days of no use!
-
Just realised....new pump comes with pully attached!!
-
have decent flare spanners already (needed them for rear, central sphere + pininon valve.)
-
tks for advice....Steve
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

StevieM, Did you check if locations and components in the above pic is same in your Xantia?
Mine is totally different. Otherwise I could have sent photos.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I normally buy a good Britool Ring spanner on special for a quid at my tool store. Put it in vice and cut the slot out with 4" angle grinder ........cheap as chips. You can hacksaw it if you want to avoid heat.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
StevieM

Xantia Pump

Post by StevieM »

Folks,

Due to a number of factors, including poor weather,other car going into garage for work for a few days, I'm afraid I have copped out and had it replaced at good small local garage.
-
All done....steering now working instantly after switch-on... rises quick...really pleased!!
-
MANY than for all the time you have taken offering advice, posting replies... very much appreciated.
-
Steve