lubricating clutch on xant-1.9td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

lubricating clutch on xant-1.9td

Post by deian »

My goodness, what did I see before me, after taking the airbox off, another cover bolted onto the gearbox covered in cables and pipes, how on earth do you guys lubricate the clutch mechanism without taking that plastic cover off.

In all honesty, the engine bay in the xantia 1.9td is pretty crowded, nice but crowded, my wife's golf 1.6 of the same year is so so so prehistoric in comparison.

Any ideas? It does seem dry and catching and stiff.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Call a 1.9TD engine bay crowded Dei? Try telling that to a V6 owner :lol: :lol:

That plastic cover will come off but it's a swine to do. Basically, all the clips that secure the pipes and electrical harnesses have to be undone and some will need cutting and replacing with ty-raps. The big flat clamps over the pipes will prise apart with care. One end is hinged and the other end is a clip of the barbed sort. Easy does it. Then move all the pipes and harnesses out of the way and gently tease it out.

It's held on then with a couple of bolts. One fore by the starter (maybe one of the starter motor bolts) and one aft which is a little hidden and slightly inaccessible.

I have a feeling this cover is not always replaced after clutch work :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

..or any other sort :D
deian

Post by deian »

it would explain why my clutch pedal is stiff though, i guess if i do my 'project' at some point i better leave it off,

<---- look, it was tighter yes, but it was also tidier, but there seems to be a hell of a lot going on in this engine bay i have here, all good fun huh!
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

If its tight - or stiff and heavy, it can also SERIOUSLY mean an End of Life clutch!!

My Black Xantia TD, with 198k had a VERY STIFF and heavy clutch, it DID NOT slip either, but when I fitted a new clutch - and nothing else, the difference was amazing!! Dei, you've a cable operated clutch on your ole girl, Not hydraulic like the 2.1 you had - so theres 2 things to check, Cable itself, the nylon bushes that the release arm swings in or the Clutch itself...

Good luck!
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
deian

Post by deian »

i'll do the easy things first, the pedal has been sticking to the floor twice too, so the spring isn't doing it's job as it should, but thanks for the heads up, it will be done if needed,

out of curiosity, how would the clutch 'end' if it won't show signs of wear besides the stiffness, i assume it's automatic adjustment?

thx paul
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hmmmm, a tricky one, by end of life I meant, its not new by any means, the Clutch Pressure plate springs getting weak... Pedal sticking to the floor on a Cable operated one? Hmmm, thats a strange one.. Some dont have auto adjustment cables, you'll know if you have as there will be a large plastic "Buldge" sitting on the subframe were the cable routes round... and also, there be NO Threaded end out of the release arm with two nuts on it....

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If the clutch is new and functioning correctly, when you get past a certain point of pushing the pedal down, probably about half way, it should become lighter, try it a few times and see if you can sense it.

The function of a diaphragm clutch is like pushing the middle of a tin lid, if you can make it snap in and out the movement gets easier once you have passed the centre point, this is what happens when the clutch is new, as it wears the disengagement point gets nearer the center and thus the clutch gets heavier.

Peter
deian

Post by deian »

there is a point where it get lighter about half way, i don't think it is worn as such, on the other hand, but that plastic cover has never come off before by the looks of it so it could be dry, but it will probably be the original clutch